The Store

Alright, I haven't been feeling too well, and I had my covid vaccine recently, so here it is, I really pushed myself to get this one out as early as it did. So I hope you enjoy it.

Luckily, the store wasn't too far away from the safeplace, if it had been any further away. The chances of me agreeing to come would have significantly dropped. When we actually got there, a dark and dingy looking place met my eyes. The part we first came in, was an underground car park with the walls and ceiling purposely painted black to maybe unintentionally make it look darker than it was meant to be. The only light coloured element were the yellow stripes that separated the cars from one and other. And oh, speaking of the cars, they were all run down, beaten up and the paint seemed to be scratched. In fact, I wasn't really sure what I was expecting in a zombie apocalypse reality like our one.

"Remember guys, we're going for batteries and getting out of here." Zizzy told me and Pony. I watched Pony adjust his winter hat as though he was preparing to meet the queen, before huffing.

"Fine. But if I find any carrots, I'm taking them." Aside from the largely grimy looking car park, to the left of it all, was the entrance to the actual store. Two doorways, with light glowing around the edges could be visible. For about ten seconds, no one moved a muscle. Until Pony broke the silence.

"Isn't it ladies first." Pony said. Zizzy shrugged and stepped forward, footsteps echoing along the ground, she entered the first doorway, and I followed.

I had to admit, the store did't seem as much as a store, as it did a market, with smaller stalls containing different products, like one selling technology, food, DIY supplies. Instead of selling just a general item like most 'stores' would. I headed straight for the electronic store, thinking that finding batteries there would be a no brainer. I went in there, while Pony went round a corner, followed by heaving noises. Meanwhile Zizzy checked in a different shop. In the electronic shop, it seemed like the place had been ransacked. The shelves had fallen onto the floor, and there was a safe in the shop, but the door had been torn off  and the contents obviously stolen. And for a moment, I could hear a faint scratching noise, however my police training forbid my reflexes from not looking up. And right there, I saw a bipedal deer wearing a long turquoise dress, black baton in hand, and the most extraordinary orange eye with a black dot dancing in it. I immediately identified it as an infected.

"INFECTED!" I screamed, to alert Zizzy and Pony. I saw Zizzy poke her head out from a shop wearing a concerned look.

"Shoot." I saw her mutter. The deer let out a screech and I found the perfect motivation to name her Dessa. Dessa charged towards me with the staff in hand and started twirling it around in a strange fashion. Zizzy ran forward and leg-swept the deer, causing her to topple over. From this point in time, it was clear Pony hadn't heard anything yet. Following where he had been. I saw Pony pushing up against a fallen barrier.

"If only I had enough energy." He whispered.

"Pony!" I yelled sharply, making him jump up. "Infected are here, we need to find those batteries now!" Pony shook his carrot obsesses daydream off and leapt to his feet.

"Where's Zizzy?" He frantically asked me.

"Battling Dess-I mean the infected." I told him. He didn't need to hear another word. Drawing his wooden sword, he ran to aid our friend. So that left it up to me to find batteries. Somehow I always find myself in similar situations. But really, where was I gonna find batteries in a place other than the electronic store, so I crept on my tip toes back there. Pony and Zizzy could be seen outnumbering and fighting Dessa, each holding back from getting scratched, or punched, one tiny smack would be all it took. Trust me, I really wanted to help, but I had no weapon. Zizzy had her sword, and Pony had his sword. Having a second look in the shop, it wasn't much different. The same broken appearance with no order, undoubtedly being trashed previously by Dessa. The real question was..why? I was busy searching among the wreckage, but then I heard loud stomps coming from behind me. I turned round and saw Dessa, slowly striding towards me. She had an even crazier look in her eye, and she raised her baton high above me. But before she could turn me into a mindless zombie, Zizzy came crashing out of nowhere and kicked Dessa so hard in the side that she was sent flying trough the air and landed in a heap, unconscious.