Distraction

Here we go, the final chapter before the big finale. And possibly one of the saddest chapters in the whole series. Let's see what you think

"Pull yourself together!" Zizzy told herself, telling her own mind off was something she did often, but in her eyes, it was the only way to become stronger.

"It's just a scratch, Zizzy, you can get through this." After she had been scratched by an infected, so had hours until she was fully infected. But she had to create a distraction for her two friends for them to escape. Willow was bound to be back any second, and she hadn't a moment to lose. The pain however, in her right arm, was unbearable, unfortunately, she was right handed. It was as though her arm had been turned numb, and it would not stop internally shaking and throbbing, like her heart was in her arm. She staggered forward and bust open the door with her knee. She fell over, but picked herself up and motivated herself with pictures of life, her sisters, hope to keep her going.

"How could I cause a distraction in a huge place like this." But something was different about the refinery. It was different. There were strange, black gaping holes everywhere. And rain spots clouded the ceiling. Strange whispers echoed around the edges and corners. Most of it was incoherent, but she could make out 'Insolence', and 'The eye'.

"The whole thing must be a messed up hallucination." Zizzy thought. Yet she powered through the pain. At times, it became so extreme, she had to sit down, as it felt like someone was pressing a hot poker down on her forearm, and wouldn't let go. Zizzy limped forward, and headed downstairs, even further, as low as she could go. Everything was dark, and her surroundings were flushed. She must be in the basement. Then, in the far corner of the room. A red glowing light glowed in the dark. Then what looked like a red ribcage formed out of glow sticks, appeared under the light. An identical one appeared just left, eyes. Then Zizzy could see it clear, a towering, huge, wide figure striding toward her with muscular, shadowy arms outstretched, like a zombie. More and more began to appear, green, blue, yellow. Dotted all over the place. A lightbulb flickered above her head for just a moment, illuminating the room. And the figure were seen in their fullest. Oily, black skin. Glowing features, broad shoulders, bulky arms and legs, and mouth full of pointed teeth. Then she was plunged into darkness once again. With no lance to protect herself with. She took off running, pushing one of the figures over. She kept running, with no intentions of where to. Then, the worst happened, she came to a dead end, she banged her fist on it, a solid wall. The figures were surprisingly fast, and caught up in no time. They surrounded her, and were closing in fast. Zizzy raised her fists.

"Trying to fight your way out of things led you to this." A voice inside her said.

"Good point." She told that voice. Her eyes flickered around her, then Zizzy spied a door. With seconds, she dashed and shut it behind her, heavily breathing. She was now in a boiler room, with three huge oil tanks. Each having a knob on them, and just above it, a meter. Zizzy had an idea, she strolled to the wheels, and with all her strength, began to pull them to the right, making the meters go up and up and up, then the next one and the next one. Soon, all of them were bubbling, about to explode. Zizzy searched for a match or something that would produce fire. All of a sudden, she felt something drop into her pocket, Reaching in, she brought out..a matchstick and lighter. Was it a hallucination? clearly not, because soon enough, the match flickered on. She lit the match and it flew through the air. Zizzy ran outside the room and shut the door. Afraid of the creatures, she turned her head, nothing there? What's more, she was back in the place where she'd gotten infected. Behind the closed door was an almighty BOOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!! The heat of the explosion knocked Zoey onto her back, and she stared up at the raging flames.

"That should do it." She whispered.

The pain of her arm had spread to her shoulders and chest now, it was quite unbearable. Zizzy sat down, taking deep breaths. But all of a sudden, a black swirling portal appeared just opposite of her. And before she could do anything, Zizzy felt herself drawn to it, like a moth to light. Everything went black. When her vision came back to focus. She was in a strange place. There were purple-black swirls everywhere, and it was dark, very dark. Then, in the distance, was the most terrifying thing she'd ever seen. A lanky figure, purple top hat, purple tail coat, purple everything. But the disturbing part was his face. Stitched together with rotten, filthy brown wool, a glowing orange eye with a black dancing dot, and worst of all, a creepy grin.