OIL AND WATER.

I waited outside the Councilroom with Caitlyn and Vi. I was pacing, round and round. The guards at the door to the Councilroom kept looking at me, then at each other, sometimes stealing glances at my leg. "I'm a Senior Enforcer, Burke. I can speak to your supervisor if you don't get rid of your attitude. Yes, I know your name. Don't be so shocked. I wrote your promotion recommendation." I snarled.

One of them kept his hand on his pistol, glaring menacingly at Vi. I glared back at him, making him look away ashamedly.

"Hey. We'll be fine. Don't worry, y/n." Caitlyn reassured me. I threw a small smile her way, but continued my pacing. I could hear them in the Councilroom, discussing the events on the bridge.

"Perhaps Marcus was working independently."

Caitlyn nodded to the guards, signaling them to open the doors and let us in.

"What could anyone in the undercity offer him that he didn't have up here?"

"It's not what they offered him, it's what he had to lose." Caitlyn said as we strided into the room, stopping before them.

Mrs. Kiramman rose to her feet at our arrival. "Councilors, my daughter has a unique insight into our situation." she said, taking her seat again.

"Thank you." Caitlyn nodded to her mother. "Councilors, This is Vi and y/n. They were born in the undercity. Even though we failed her in countless ways, Vi risked everything to show me what life is really like down there, and Y/n is proof that those born in the undercity aren't automatically bad people. It's their superiors that cause the circumstances that force them to do these bad things, illegal, cruel things, in order to survive. People are starving, sick, ravaged by Shimmer. They live in constant fear of the coordinated efforts of violent crime lords. One man leads these efforts. Silco."

"We've done investigations of Silco, they yielded no such level of organization." Said a Councilman.

"And who led these investigations?" I countered, staring the man down. He faltered, knowing it was Marcus.

Another Councilman spoke. "What does this Silco want from us?"

"He believes the undercity should be independent. He calls it the Nation of Zaun." Caitlyn answered.

"What about these? Do you know who made these?" Jayce stood up, placing one of Jinx's bombs on the table in front of him. I winced, looking at Vi.

"No, well... Uh.." Caitlyn stammered. Vi placed her hand on Caitlyn's shoulder, stopping her.

"Her name is Jinx." Vi said, stepping forward.

"This Jinx has the gemstone?" Jayce asked. We nodded.

"Then we have to go in by force."

"That could trigger war!" A dark-skinned Councilwoman exclaimed.

"There are good people down there!" I yelled, stepping forward as well.

"Hmph. Bad ones, too." The blonde one said.

"Even if we wanted to invade, they have Shimmer."

"We have Hextech." Jayce proclaimed.

"What happened to you?" Caitlyn asked, hurt, looking at Jayce. Jayce didn't answer, but he met my eyes for a second, and I made sure to fill them with disappointment.

"We've been talking about talking for weeks now. They're still cleaning the blood off the bridge. When do we say enough is enough?!" Jayce put his fist down.

"Jayce, you don't know war. I do. It must be our last resort. There may be a diplomatic solution." The dark skinned woman said. Jayce glared at her.

"She's right." A Councilwoman with a large metal collar piece said.

"What? You want to negotiate with him?" Vi yelled, stepping into the middle of the Councilors.

"It may be the only way to avoid further bloodshed." Caitlyn's mother spoke up.

"This is insane! Did you learn nothing? You can't talk to him!" Vi yelled again, pacing in front of the Councilmembers.

"He hates you, everything you stand for." I defended Vi, wanting to get our point across. 

"She's right. He will never back down." Vi added. There was silence after she spoke.

"Enforcers, please escort them out." A Councilor then said, nodding to dismiss us.

I scoffed in amazement. "Forget it. We remember where your fancy damn door is." Vi grumbled, grabbing me and rushing out. Caitlyn called after us, profusely apologizing.

"Vi! Y/n! Wait!" Caitlyn yelled after us, chasing us down in the pouring rain. We paused, looking back. "Wait! Where are you going?"

"I don't know. Back where we came from? Seems like that's what everyone up here wants." Vi retorted, scoffing. I turned away, not wanting to look Cait in the eyes.

"I can fix this." Caitlyn said.

"You can't!" Vi yelled. "This is how things are, how they've always been. I was so stupid to think they could change." I put a hand on her shoulder, trying to get her to stop yelling. Caitlyn only wanted to help.

"There must be something we can do! Some other way. We'll make a new plan, we have to try." Caitlyn said, desperate now.

"We tried, okay? It wasn't enough. Topside and bottom. Oil and water. That's all there is." Vi said, turning away.

"Vi, no. What about us?" I argued.

"Yes, what about us, Vi?" Caitlyn repeated.

"Oil and water. Wasn't meant to be." Vi whispered.

"You're just saying that." I said, looking at Vi with pitiful eyes. She ignored me.

"Do us a favor, Caitlyn. Go back to that big, shiny house of yours and just... forget us, okay?" Vi turned to me. "Are you staying?" I frowned at her.

I hesitated, looking between Vi and Caitlyn. I had to choose: was I loyal to my duty as an enforcer, or to my life mission?

I turned to Caitlyn. "You know I can't leave Vi." I pushed down my guilt, avoiding the gaze of my closest companion of seven years. She looked at me helplessly, nothing but sorrow and shame in her eyes. I moved to her, wiping the tears on her face.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just wanted to help." Caitlyn said, choking out a sob. I took her hands in mine, gently smiling at her. "I'll handle Vi. You focus on fixing this. I have to leave you. I'll be back soon, I promise. This is about more than just a crime lord. This is about my family." I whispered, hugging her. She hugged me tightly, as if she let me go she would collapse. "I know. Go." She said reluctantly.

I gently pried her off me, walking to Vi and not looking back. Vi took my hand, and we walked off into the rain.
—————————
A/N- Sorry for this super short chapter! More to come soon. Happy Holidays!
(Super sad this fic is gonna be over soon :( Only like 1 and 1/2 episodes left to write about!)