Migraines

Gwen's Age: 16

Bucky, Sam, and Gwen were at the store grocery shopping. Gwen really wasn't up to being out in public at the moment. She had the beginnings of a migraine forming behind her eyes and she felt all bloated and crabby.

"Uhg, my period's gonna start soon." Gwen grumbled to herself.

Gwen's periods aren't too debilitating, but the first day of it is always a bit h*llish. The cramps are mild but the migraine is what leaves her curled up in a ball on the couch with her head buried in a pillow.

"I'm gonna go get something." Gwen informed her dads.

"Okay, sweetheart." Sam replied, checking something off the grocery list.

Making her way to the feminine products aisle and grabs a box of pads. Then she meets back up with her dads in the dairy section and throws the box of pads, along with a bottle of Midol, into the shopping cart. Bucky notices the items then looks to his daughter and sees her miserable expression.

"Migraine?" Bucky asked gently.

Gwen nods.

"And these fluorescent lights are making it worse?" Bucky asked her.

Gwen nods again, letting out a pained whimper. The super soldier knew all too well how bad a migraine could feel. Because of the many years of mind-wiping and brainwashing, Bucky now had frequent migraines.

"Here, baby-girl." Bucky said taking off his hoodie and slipping it onto Gwen.

After she slips her arms through the sleeves, Bucky pulls the hood over Gwen's head to shield her eyes from the store's fluorescent lighting. Then he pulls her into his side, wrapping his arm around her and rubbing her shoulder.

"Sammy, let's wrap this up. Gwen's not feeling good." Bucky told his husband.

"What's wrong with Gwen?" Sam asked concerned.

"It's her monthly menstrual migraine." Bucky answered.

"Ahh." Sam nodded in understanding.

They quickly finish up their shopping and go home, where Gwen immediately went to the bathroom to put on a pad. When she emerges from the bathroom, Gwen trudges to the couch and flops face down on it. Meanwhile, Bucky turns off all the lights and closes the curtains. Next, he throws a blanket on his daughter then sits beside her head and starts to gently massage her scalp and the back of her neck.

"What do you want for dinner?" Sam whispered from the kitchen, knowing Bucky could hear it with his super hearing.

Bucky texts Sam, telling him to make some grilled cheese sandwiches....those were Gwen's favorite.

"How ya feelin', Gwen?" Bucky asked quietly.

"...meh..." Gwen huffed into the pillow she was pressing her face into.

"'Meh'? Well, 'meh' is better than 'bad', so I guess that's progress." Bucky said moving his hand from rubbing her head to rubbing her back.

After a nap and dinner, Gwen was feeling a lot better. Now she just had a bit of post-migraine fogginess as she cuddled into Bucky's side on the couch. Sam sat at Bucky's other side holding his metal hand. Knowing Bucky would just dismiss any type of 'thank you' Gwen would say, she shows her gratitude by reaching up and kissing her dad on the temple. In response, Bucky just tightens his arm around her. It's great how this family expresses their love without having to say a single word.