When Your BFF Becomes Your GF Pt.1

Gwen's Age: 17

Gwen and her best friend, Mary Jane, were hanging out in Gwen's room, spitballing ideas for a new song for their band.

"Ooh, let's try something more chill. Ya know, go acoustic." Mary Jane suggested.

"But most acoustic songs don't have drums. What will I do?" Gwen asked.

"You could sing, and I'll do back up vocals." Mary Jane said.

"Oh, I don't know, I'm not much of a singer." Gwen chuckled shyly.

"Are you kidding? Gwen, I've heard you sing before, you have a very pretty voice." Mary Jane said, poking Gwen in the ribs.

The blonde couldn't help blushing, her cheeks becoming bright red. For some reason, Gwen's been blushing a lot whenever she was around her best friend. She wasn't sure when it started or how it happened, but Gwen had developed a crush on Mary Jane Watson.

"You should totally write a love song." Mary Jane said excitedly.

"What? W-why?" Gwen asked nervously.

"Because we haven't done one before and everyone likes a good love song." Mary Jane replied.

"I'll write the music part, you just take care of the lyrics." she added.

"But I don't even know what to write about." Gwen sighed flopping back onto her bed.

Mary Jane stands up from where she's sitting on the floor and sits on the edge of Gwen's bed beside the girl's knees.

"Don't you have a crush on anyone?" Mary Jane asked.

"Maybe." Gwen mumbled hugging one of her stuffed animals to her chest.

"Then write about them, write about how they make you feel." Mary Jane told her friend.

"Okay." Gwen said burying her face into the back of her teddy bear's head.

Before Mary Jane could ask Gwen why she was acting so strange, Gwen's dad, Bucky, knocks then pokes his head into his daughter's room.

"Hey, girls, dinner's almost ready. Mary Jane, you're welcome to stay for dinner if you'd like." Bucky said.

"Thanks, Mr. Barnes-Wilson, but I think I'll just head home now." Mary Jane replied, standing up.

"See ya tomorrow, Gwen." she told Gwen, patting her knee.

She says goodbye to Gwen's dads, then leaves the house and walks home. When Mary Jane was gone, Gwen puts her hands to her face and groans.

"What's with you?" Bucky asked his daughter.

"Uhg, complicated teenage stuff, don't wanna talk about it." Gwen grumbled.

"Okay, but you do know that you can talk to your father and I about anything, right?" Bucky said, leaning on the doorframe of Gwen's bedroom door.

"Yeah, Dad, I know. I just don't know what to say." Gwen replied walking over to Bucky and hugging him.

During dinner, Gwen was distracted and didn't eat the normal amount of food that she usually ate.

"Gwen, sweetie, what's wrong? Is something bothering you?" Sam asked concerned.

"I'm fine, Papa, I just have a lot on my mind. I don't feel like talking about it right now, so please don't ask." Gwen said, pushing the food on her plate around with her fork.

"I think I'm gonna go out on patrol now." she told her dads, dropping the fork onto the plate.

"Alright, baby-girl, be safe." Bucky said, gathering his and Sam's empty plates and taking them to the kitchen sink.

Gwen gives Sam a hug and a kiss on the cheek, then does the same for Bucky. Next, she heads to her room to change into her spider suit and says goodbye to her dads one more time before leaving the house to go out into the city. After she had left, Bucky puts Gwen's unfinished dinner into a tupperware container to save it for later, knowing she would most likely be hungry after patrol.

"What do you think is going on with Gwen?" Sam asked his husband.

"I think she has a crush on someone and doesn't know how to deal with it. You know how it is when you really like someone." Bucky said sitting on the couch with Sam.

Sam turns on the TV then snuggles into Bucky's side.

"Yeah, she's kinda acting like you did when you first started having a crush on me. You were so worried that our friendship would be ruined you just suffered in silence with your giant crush." Sam chuckled fondly.

"Holy sh*t, I think Gwen's got a crush on Mary Jane." he gasped in realization.

"I think you might be right." Bucky agreed.

"Should we help her?" he asked.

"Nah, pretty sure it's inappropriate to meddle with your daughter's love life. But if and when she comes to us for advice, we'll give it." Sam said placing a hand on Bucky's chest.

Meanwhile, Gwen is swinging through the city as Ghost-Spider. She crouches on the roof of a building and looks for a crime to stop.

"HELP!" a woman who was being mugged shouted.

Gwen quickly swings down and punches the mugger unconscious then webs him up.

"Here's your purse, ma'am." Gwen said giving the woman her purse back.

"Thank you, Ghost-Spider." the woman said before running off.

After dropping the criminal off at the police station, Gwen stops a couple robberies and helps return a senile old woman to the nursing home she had wandered away from. By the time she got home, her dads were already in bed. As Gwen laid in her bed, she stared at the ceiling thinking of the song Mary Jane asked her to write. The problem wasn't writing the song, because Gwen already knew exactly what to say. The problem she was concerned about was what Mary Jane would think of a love song that would obviously be about her. Mary Jane was a very perceptive person, she would easily figure out that Gwen would be pouring her heart out to her in song form.

"God, what am I gonna do? How can I write a love song that won't be about my feelings for MJ?" Gwen thought, nervously chewing on her bottom lip.

This was hardly the first crush Gwen has had on someone, but for some reason, this crush she had on Mary Jane was more intense than any other crush she had. Is this what love felt like, the kind of love her dads felt for each other?