Daddy, I Had a Nightmare, Can I Sleep With You?

Requested by: tocagirl

Gwen's Age: 5

Bucky's POV

It's the middle of the night When I jolt awake. I just had a nightmare...a really bad one. On the verge of a panic attack, I reach out for my husband, but only find an empty spot on the bed. Then I remember that Sam is on a mission with Steve and Wanda, and won't be back for another three days. I jump a little when I feel something poke my foot. I look over and see my daughter Gwen clutching her doll.

"W-what is it, sweety?" I ask her, trying to keep my voice calm.

"Daddy, I had a nightmare, can I sleep with you?" Gwen asked.

"Of course, baby-girl, come here." I said patting the spot beside me.

Gwen climbs onto the bed and curls against my chest. I need to keep it together, my daughter needs me to comfort her, I can't have a panic attack right now. Trying to control my shaking and trembling, I stroke Gwen's hair and kiss her forehead.

"Daddy, are you okay?" Gwen asked me.

"What do you mean, baby?" I questioned.

"You're shaking and you're heart is going really fast. Is something wrong?" Gwen replied.

"*sigh* Okay...the truth is...I also had a nightmare." I tell Gwen.

I can't lie to her, she's too smart.

"So you're scared too?" asked Gwen.

I nod, then my body betrays me and tears start streaming down my face. Embarrassed that I'm crying in front of my daughter, I cover my face with my hand.

"It's okay, Daddy, don't cry." Gwen said attempting to pull my hand away from my face.

She succeeds in uncovering my face and wipes the tears away with her tiny little hands. Then she runs her fingers through my hair and kisses my forehead, just like I did for her.

"Do you feel better now, Daddy?" Gwen asked me, nuzzling into my neck.

"Mhm. Much better." I answered with a small smile.

Gwen yawns then minutes later falls asleep. I wrap her in my arms and kiss the top of her head. I love this child so much. Ever since she came into my life, I've...I've felt more at peace. I don't feel like a monster when I hold her. Her and Sam have made my life so much more bearable. They are the best things that has ever happened to me and I will protect them with my life.

"Goodnight, baby." I whispered before falling asleep.

Holding my daughter, I had a peaceful and nightmareless sleep.