The animagi, the witch, and the werewolf

"Earth to Padfoot. Padsy?" Remus asked. His best mate had been staring into the thick, grime-coated window for the past twenty minutes. The windows were filthy, with layers of muck caused by years of neglect.

"Oh sorry, Moony, I'm just imagining how certain people would look together." Sirius gave Remus his 'all knowing smirk'.

Remus, didn't have the heart to tell him what happened last night, how Tonks confessed that she loved him, and how he had pretended not to understand her. He told no one how he had talked to Mad-Eye so that he could arrange that him and Tonks weren't partnered up together.

He loved being with her. It made him forget how he could never have her. It made him joyful, when nothing else could, and how she was like a light in the middle of the dark.

They had known each other for about a year. They had been close friends, and nothing more than that.(A/N: I didn't write the entire thing cuz it would be to long. I might insert a few more chapters between the ones I have already wrote so it might make it more complete :D)

He tried to act like everything was alright, so hopefully Tonks would move on. He pretended that nothing had happened between them.

"Moony, you alright?"

"Yeay, why wouldn't I be alright? Besides the fact that I'm a werewolf?" He made an attempt at a joke.

"You're my best mate. I know when somethings not right." Sirius genuinly looked concerned.

"I'm fine." He replied stiffly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Tonksie, whats up?'' Sirius lightheartedly tried to cheer her up. He knew something was wrong, because last night, after Remus and Tonks returned to Grimmauld's Place, their usual banter was replaced by dead silence. They avoided each other's eyes when they rarely spoke in the morning, and Remus personally asked Alaster Moody to change the roster.

"Nothing." She replied stiffly. Her usual cheerful shade of bubblegum pink was replaced by a shade of dull, black. She rarely wore that shade, usually only to annoy Snape, or for undercover work. It meant that she was deppressed, which she probably was.

But despite what she just said, she found herself blurting out the entire story, as if she had taken a vial of veritaserum, clinging on to her cousin like a lifeline.

"That git." Sirius was practically seeing red. Moony had always been the guy who thought about everything, from how to do it, to the consequences. He was smart, but perhaps Sirius had overestimated him. He knew how much he loved Tonks, based on the dazed look that never left his eyes the moment he met the pink-haired auror.

Then he said in a much gentler tone, feeling bad for Tonks, "Do you want me to punch him or something? Or hex him? I enjoy doing either."

"Are you fucking serious?"

"I am Sirius, but no, I'm not going to make love with myself. No way." Sirius grinned, remembering how he had said that joke to many times, in and out of school. It never got old.

Tonks, too, remembered how he would crack that joke every time he came over for dinner at the Tonks' house, how Andromeda would roll her eyes, and Ted Tonks would grin. It was before he was blamed of murder, and when he could walk wherever he wanted, as a free man.

"Nah. I mean, you could talk to him, but I don't think he'll change much..." Her voice trailed off as she attempted to not cry.

Sirius patted her cheek gently. He sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Moony, why the heck did you do that Tonks?" Sirius said seriously (A/N: no pun intended lol)

"I know you love her. So just goddamn accept it and let yourself be happy for once, you noble prat. You don't have to be the hero, and act all ethical."

Remus smiled wryly. "I'm not the hero, I'm more like the hapless sidekick."

"Hapless sounds like happy, so that's a good thing, right?" Sirius never had a big vocabulary, which would be useful just about now.

"No, it means unfortunate, which is what I am right now. I shouldn't have fallen for her in the first place. I'm too poor, too old, and too messed up for her. She deserves better than me, a werewolf."

Sirius was at a loss of words. He could understand why his best mate felt that way, not nesesarrily meaning he agreed.

"I still think you should give it a shot. A relationship with Tonks, I mean. She loves you, you know, and you're a pretty good match. Just think about it, please?" Sirius pleaded and gave him his puppy-dog eyes that were practically irresistable. He did it for both Tonks' sake and Remus' as well. And for the ten galleons he had on the line on a bet with Bill Weasley. But still, he did want them to be happy.