Heartbreak

"Wotche-" Tonks tripped on the troll umbrella stand, and Mad-Eye gave her a look of pure annoyance.

"Nymphadora, what did I tell you the first time I met you? CONSTANT VIGILANCE!" Tonks shuddered.

"Scared, are you, Nymphadora?" Snape sneered. They had openly called war after she had spilled some shrinking solution on his foot. He, in return, had 'accidentally' put some flobberworm skin in her potion the next day, causing her potion to explode, and made her have detention to clean it up.

"No, Master of Grease. I was merely shuddering 'cuz of your lack of personal hygiene. Please consider washing your hair on a daily basis, for it is rather disgusting. It would improve your looks too, something you lack greatly. Thank you, professor." Tonks shot back. Everyone snickered.

"You think that you are so cool, with your petty little friends, don't you? No one cares about you, Nymphadora. Sorry to break it to you." Snape turned around to walk away.

"Says the friendless guy who had an affair with the giant squid." Sirius called after him. "The one friend you had, you called her a mudblood when she saved you. Too bad, Snivelus."

Snape paused, as if remembering something, but then quickly walked away, silently.

"Sirius, that was cruel." Remus scolded him.

The escapee ignored him. "Yeah, whatever. Wanna chat later? C'mon, it'll be just like the good old times."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Siri, who was his only friend? Ol' Greasehead, I mean."

"Lily, of course." Sirius replied.

Tonks was surprised, to say the least. Lily Potter, the mother of Harry Potter, and the person who sacrificed herself for her son! She was friends with that cockroach?

"Bloody hell! You told me she was kind, but I didn't know she was a saint! God, friends with the dungeon bat. Just imagine."

It was Remus who spoke, but he didn't meet her eyes. "He told her about the wizarding world, about Hogwarts and magic. He was Lily's first magical friend, and they bonded over the fact that they were both different from the others."

"Yeah, like what Remus said. I swore, Snape loved her." Sirius sighed, obviously grieving for their long lost friends.

"Snape loved Lily? Why? He was a Slytherin, and she was a Gryffindor. The two houses practically hated each other. And she was a muggle-born, right? Snape hates them!"

"Lack of friends, in the first place. She was rather pretty, you know. She was smart, kind, and funny, and you couldn't help but like her. That's how Prongs fell for her." A single tear fell down Remus' cheek. Neither of the three said a word.

Tonks realized that this was the first time she talked to Remus since what happened a few days ago.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonks broke the ice. "So... Remus, can I call you Remmy?"

Remus snorted. "If you don't care whether or not I respond."

"I think that it is a very dignified name." Sirius offered. "Right, Remmy?"

"Fine! If I can call you 'Nymphie' and Sirius 'Paddy'."

"Paddy makes you sound like a girl on her time of the month." Tonks snickered. "Sure, you can call me 'Nymphie' if I can call Sirius 'Paddy'."

"What, no! Remus, I'm your best mate! Save me from this torture!" Sirius dramatically clutched his heart.

"Sorry, Paddy." Remus doubled over with laughter. Tonks followed suit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK! WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT LEAVING FUR ALL OVER THE FLOOR? YOU COME CLEAN THIS MESS UP RIGHT NOT!" An angry Molly Weasley was a force to not be reckoned with.

"Tonks, Remy," Sirius whimpered. "My will is under loose brick behind the Gryffindor banner. Please don't let me die!"

"SIRIUS!"

"I'm coming, Mother." Sirius instantly regreted it, as Mrs. Weasley gave him a death glare that could have made Voldemort himself curl up into a ball.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So..." Remus tried to strike up a conversation, but failed to do so.

"So..." Tonks attempted to do the same. "About what happened... Do you love me?"

Remus felt a sinking feeling in his chest. He couldn't tell her how much he did, how he thought of her all the time, and how beautiful he thought she was. She would eventually move on, and marry a rich, auror, which was nothing less than what she deserved.

"N-No." He stuttered. That word, as simple as it was, left a vile taste in his mouth.

Tonks' eyes narrowed. "Your lying. I know you do. Even Sirius said so." She looked angry, which a small part of her was, but she was mostly just heartbroken. The love of her life was going to push her away, and confine himself to a life of solitary confindment. All because of his stupid reasons.

"No, I'm not. I really don't." It was more of an attempt to convince himself, than her.

"I don't understand. Why? Why don't you let me love you?" Tonks started to sob. It killed him, it ripped his heart apart to hear the cheerful auror to cry.

"I can't. Because of my condition. You deserve better. Someone who is richer, younger, and can support you." Remus mumbled.

"But I don't care. I don't care about any of it. I just want you, Remus, that's all. And I can support both of us. Please... please..." Tonks wept, as she collapsed on the floor. Her already faded pink hair slowly faded into it's normal mousy brown color. It pained him to tear her eyes away from her.

"I'm sorry Tonks. I just can't. Goodbye." He replied softly, bidding the girl he loved farewell. With that, the werewolf threw some floo powder into the air and left.