3. Similarities

Levi looked in the mirror. Water was dripping from his hair. Horse shit. It had smelled like it did in the past. Levi laughed bitterly. It was the same stunk as in the underworld. Always. Even though there had been no horses. It had been just as dark as in the underworld. And his stomach had growled. Just like back then. He turned on the water tap and washed his hands again. And something else had been similar. A little bit. A little light. A little warmth. Levi rubbed the foam of the soap on his hands. Back then, his mother had tried everything to make his life a little more worth living. She had done everything so that he would not be cold or hungry.

If she had a needle, thread and fabric, Levi had received a new pair of trousers or a new shirt first. If they had food on the table, Levi always got the larger portion. If there was bread soup, his mother only spooned warm water with a few spices. If they could afford an apple, his mother ate only the core.

Levi turned off the water and dried his hands. Had Chagara's behaviour reminded him of his mother? Why had he let her do it? Why had he let her put on the jacket on him?

Usually young women were afraid of him. Or they dreamt of him. Him, the hope of mankind. But then they tried to win him over with their charms.

Dressed only with a towel around his hips, he left the bathroom. But Chagara didn't fit in one of these two categories. But she didn't fit into the category he had put Hanji in either. Hanji, the pain in the ass who often stuck to him and talked without interruption. Levi shook his head and looked out of the window.

He had seen Chagara twice by coincidence. The last time they had bumped into each other. And her kindnesses had surely just been her way of apologising. So simple. Levi pulled the curtain closed.

But the next moment he remembered their first encounter. What had she gone through to have such scars? Surely they were not from training. Levi inhaled the air. And why did his room smell like chicken soup?

He turned to the desk. How had the tray got there? Curious, he stepped closer. Had it been Erwin? Because it was his birthday? No, Erwin wouldn't do such a thing. A bowl of chicken soup. Even three small pieces of meat were swimming in the broth. A slice of bread and an apple laid on a plate next to it. And a cup of tea. Levi reached for the cup. It was still warm. Chamomile tea. Had it been Chagara? His gentle gaze fell on the closed door of the room.

Hadn't he locked it? He had. Only when he turned the key, the door opened. There was no one to be seen in the dark corridor. Levi went back into the room and locked it again. So he wasn't the only one who could unlock doors easily without a key.

It was only now that his eyes fell on the neatly folded blanket, lying on the chair in front of the desk. He smelled the scent of lavender as he put the soft blanket around his shoulders and sat down in front of the tray. Levi dipped a piece of bread into the soup and ate it.

So, Chagara could break down doors without leaving a mark. Had she grown up on the streets?