34. "I only bathe with you."

"I'll go get her," Moblit murmured apologetically and dismounted from his horse.

Louis nodded and watched as the soldier entered the stationery shop. Two days ago he had been ordered by the Commander to pick up Hanji. He had arrived at headquarters in the afternoon two days ago. However, due to experiments, Hanji could not leave until the next morning. The next morning, however, the farrier was already shoeing Hanji's horse. They could have left in the afternoon, but Moblit's horse only had its horseshoes changed in the afternoon. Hanji did not want to leave without her assistant and neither Moblit nor she wanted to ride other horses. Somehow the woman had the crazy idea that they would have to go outside the walls to better explore this female Titan. That was why she wanted her own trusted horse with her. "With which soldiers only?", Louis had pondered, but preferred to keep that thought to himself. The experienced soldiers at the training camp were either dead or injured. "Possibly Commander Erwin has already kicked us out in the meantime anyway."

Anyway, today they had finally left. But Hanji absolutely had to go to a stationery shop. "I need notebooks. And new pens." She had said that almost half an hour ago.

Louis also dismounted and watched the market happenings, yawning. He grinned as he fell back into his old pattern. He scanned the market booths for possible victims. In the past, he had stolen, kept himself alive that way. In the past was before Chagara and Paul had caught him, paid for his theft and told him more about the soldier life while they were having soup. Then in the summer he had gone to the training camp. In his pocket a letter from Peter to Shadis - If there were too many applicants, the former Commander of the Scout Regiment should definitely not send the boy away.

The fruit booth vendor was too engrossed in a conversation with several women. Louis could easily have stolen two or three apples from him, because the crate was out of his field of vision. One of the women had put her basket down on the ground. He could also have simply stolen the small bag with money in it. Suddenly, a girl with brown hair knelt down next to the basket. She pretended to have a hurting ankle and was now palpating it. "Beginner," Louis smirked. "Too hesitant." He sighed. "Probably a too kind heart," he muttered to himself, doing what Chagara usually did.

Trembling, the girl reached out for the small bag in the basket. But suddenly someone grabbed her hand and pulled her up. "Come," Louis said with a smile, putting a coin on the trader's plate and taking an apple.

"Why doesn't he shout at me? Why doesn't he hit me?" Without any resistance, she went along with the young soldier. "Scout Regiment, right?" The brown-haired girl eyed the emblem on the green cape.

"What's your name?," the blond giant asked as he let go of her hand and patted one of three horses. "I guess you don't talk to strangers, huh? That's not bad either," Louis commented as she continued to remain silent. "Here," he offered her the apple. "I'm Louis." When she made no move to take the apple, he placed it in her hand.

The girl's sceptical eyes gazed at the red apple. "Why are you doing this?," she finally asked him.

"Why shouldn't I do it?"

"Because people only do things when they get something out of it for themselves. What do you get out of it?"

Louis pondered. "Mmm. I saved you from doing something stupid. Actually, you're a good person, aren't you? You hesitated when you wanted to steal the woman's money. So you already had a guilty conscience before you did it. And if you weren't hungry, you wouldn't have had that stupid idea in the first place, would you?"

The girl with the ponytail now held the apple with both hands and bit into it. Louis smiled. "If you have no idea at all where to go, you might consider joining the army. The training to become a soldier always starts in the summer. And if you can say please and thank you and don't use bad words, go to a church next time you're hungry."