56. "Never seen it before?"

Peter sighed as the soup sloshed onto the tray. Emily had meant too well. "But he has to get his strength back," she had explained as she dipped the soup ladle into the cooking pot for the third time. He stopped in front of the door to the infirmary. Did he have to knock? He did, but stepped through the door before the Commander's "come in" was fully heard.

In the morning, Erwin had woken up and remained conscious. He seemed to have survived the worst. Pale and with a sunken face, he sat in his bed. Several pillows in his back supported him.

"We have been ordered to escort the transports between the farms and the flour mills," Peter heard Mike say. The Vice-Commander sat next to Erwin's bed and briefed him on the current events.

"Were there any incidents that led to this action?," Erwin spoke with an effort.

Peter handed him a mug of water after setting the tray down on the bedside table. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Erwin's hand shaking. But he said nothing, instead he started looking for a cloth to wipe the tray dry.

"A few days ago there was a dead man at the bread distribution," Mike told him and took the mug of water from Erwin. The Commander had difficulty turning and setting the cup down on the small table by himself. Exhausted, Erwin dropped his head into the pillows and saw a spoon in front of his mouth in the next moment. Sceptically he looked at his cousin.

"I can also send for my mother," Peter replied calmly.

"Don't do it," Erwin said and opened his mouth. "The dead man was a refugee?," Erwin asked quietly after he had gulped down the vegetable soup. It was pleasant to taste something. "Carrots. And onions."

"Yes." Mike nodded as Peter held another spoon in front of the Commander's mouth.

"Ron's team will do it," Erwin replied.

Mike nodded. "And we have been told to get more involved in the bread distribution."

The wrinkles on Erwin's forehead deepened. "We don't have men for all of that," he muttered wearily.

Peter noticed the brief sad look the Commander exchanged with his Vice-Commander. "I could take care of that. I'm still not supposed to train. According to Steve," Peter offered.

Erwin eyed him. When he had woken up a few hours ago, Peter had been standing at the next bed. Without trousers. He had been busy putting cream on his burns. How he could move his legs despite the severe burns was a mystery to Erwin. "Any news from the church?," he finally asked.

His cousin shook his head. "Nothing. We don't have anything. And since you've been in the infirmary, we haven't been there either."

Erwin nodded slowly. "No more observation for now. You help take care of the bread distribution. Take soldiers from your old team with you," he ordered. "I expect a short verbal report every day," the Commander added.

"Yes, Commander," Peter replied.

"Do you know yet how long Steve is going to keep you here?", Mike wanted to know.

"As long as it takes!" Steve stood in the doorway. "Visits will be announced to me from now on. Any excitement will be avoided. Understood?," the doctor stated coolly.

"Apparently I'm already in the antechamber of hell," Erwin replied, indicating to Peter that he was no longer hungry. His cousin helped him to lie down. Peter found it difficult to keep a carefree expression on his face. He hadn't missed the fact that Mike had winced at Erwin's words. "I guess I'm right in my assumption then. F***ing government."

***

Levi looked up and leaned back. "What is it?," he asked after studying her in detail. Ayumi sat bolt upright on his desk. Her hands were folded on her thighs. Her gaze was straight ahead. And even though she said nothing, Levi knew that something wanted to burst out of her. But despite his intense gaze, he had to probe himself.