32. "Just gone like that."

"Thank you, Commander Erwin!," Levi heard the recruits say. The Commander of the Scout Regiment had taken over the training of a group of 20 future soldiers today. Together with Levi, they practised with their ODM gears in the forest. Fast climbing up and down the tree, jumping back and forth in the treetops and the fast fall, which took several recruits some effort. In the end, however, everyone had pulled through, jumped from the branch and didn't make use of the ODM gear until seconds later. There were no major injuries. Erwin was satisfied with the group. And if he had turned around, he would still have recognised Levi's slight and rare smile in the dusk.

Levi followed Erwin and the youths with some distance. But his thoughts were somewhere else. It did matter to her. True, the number of stories about him with women was greatly exaggerated. But yes, he had had fleeting acquaintances. Always only once and always initiated by the female soldiers. His grin became bigger. For him it was clear: Chagara was jealous. Otherwise she wouldn't have reacted like that. "So she really likes me."

"I'm telling you, they were from the Scout Regiment," Levi heard a recruit say, who was busy cleaning the entrance to the stable with a comrade. "They were definitely all wearing uniforms from the Scout Regiment."

"Yeah, right," his comrade replied as he poured a bucket of water on the floor. "A troop of the Scout Regiment arrives here and disappears - shortly after entering the stable. Totally logical."

"So you don't believe me?"

"Sure I do. They probably just left again because the stable was too dirty."

"Cut the crap. I think they were up to something." The boy of maybe 15 propped himself up on his broom. "They were all so serious looking. And they were quick. And every move was on point. Really scary. Maybe they had to get out. Outside the walls. Maybe they have a secret mission."

"Yeah, right. Without Commander Erwin. Without Levi Heichou. Then it can only be a suicide mission." His comrade shook his head and continued to scrub.

"I wonder if she'll calm down if I apologise," Levi pondered. The stories were far in the past. And actually, he didn't have to apologise for things that had happened before he had met Chagara. But he didn't want her to be angry with him. Maybe she had calmed down already. Somehow he understood it too. He wouldn't feel like hearing any stories about her male acquaintances either. Levi stopped. "Wait a minute," he narrowed his eyebrows. "If she freaks out like that, then maybe she's still –"

"Erwin!" Shadis snapped Levi out of his thoughts. Shadis was the only one who never addressed Erwin by title. Probably because he had known Erwin since early recruit days.

"What's going on?," the Commander of the Scout Regiment asked sceptically when Shadis stepped in his way. A boy, almost as tall as Mike, stood next to Shadis. Levi recognised him. The brown-haired giant always made a good impression in weight training and the one-on-one fights. He was one of Peter's soldiers. "Louis, isn't it?"

"Don't get angry," Shadis began.

Levi's ears pricked up.

"What has he done?," Erwin wanted to know, to which Shadis looked at him in surprise. "It looks like the medical staff is in a hurry," Erwin continued. "So, what has my cousin been up to?"

Shadis again was astonished at Erwin's quick combination.

"How serious is it? His injuries?," asked Erwin.

"We don't know yet, Commander Erwin," Louis replied when Shadis did not immediately respond. "They say there were traces of the priest who disappeared." But then Louis broke off. He knew that Peter had acted without orders from Commander Erwin. There would be consequences. Deaths and consequences. Louis just didn't know yet who was among the dead. "Maybe all of them," he thought, feeling his throat tighten and he felt sick. And he couldn't know what the consequences were. "Maybe we'll get kicked out. Back to the streets."