81. "Her sister?"

Naoki looked at himself in the window pane. Light grey shirt, dark blue waistcoat, dark blue suit. Had his father even noticed that he had adapted his dress style to that of his father? Two days ago, Levi had gone shopping with his children. They were supposed to pick out new clothes for their school visit. Steve had arranged for the two Ackerman children to take an entrance exam to determine their level of knowledge and to send them to the right class after the summer holidays.

"Tch," he heard from the middle of the hallway. His father shook his head as a group of students walked past him and entered a classroom.

"What?," his mother wanted to know.

"They have indeed mixed classes," his father grumbled. "They're supposed to study here and not to get any stupid ideas."

"We were mixed in the military and the training too," Ayumi muttered.

Naoki grinned at his parents. Like Natsuki and him, they had both entered a school for the first time in their life today. Tiptoeing wordlessly, his parents had crept through the corridors to the secretary's office. They didn't want to do anything wrong.

"That was something else," Levi hissed, pushing Ayumi gently onto the wooden bench.

"Levi?," whispered Ayumi, pulling on the sleeve of his jacket.

"Mh?"

"Are my shoes clean? I don't see them," Ayumi asked softly.

Levi analysed her shoes made of straw. Luckily, the shoes were slightly stretchy, otherwise his wife would not have been able to get into them with her swollen feet this morning. Yesterday he had trimmed her toenails because Ayumi could no longer reach her feet. And his latest task was to massage her legs as well as her feet. Levi thought the rounded appearance of his wife was cute. But how much more weight would she gain? It was only the beginning of June. "Maybe two more months." When Ayumi saw his nod, she sat back calmly.

"And what is the minimum I have to manage?", Natsuki asked Steve for the umpteenth time, while she incessantly tried out how to carry her new school bag. She would prefer to carry the bag crosswise. But she didn't like the pressure of the strap on her bosom. "So just over the shoulder like Naoki after all?"

"If things go wrong, you'll be in Grade 9. But it won't," Steve said encouragingly, patting Natsuki's shoulder. The doctor had been looking at the textbooks in the bookshops for the past few days. The results had surprised him. "You'll probably finish school sooner than your parents would like," Steve thought. But he didn't want to ruin that surprise.

"Okay! Okay, I can do this!", Natsuki spoke words of encouragement to herself and tried to shake off her fear by hopping, her bag bouncing along.

"Careful," Ayumi called out as Natsuki had started to turn in circles. Hearing his mother's loud call, Naoki turned around with interest.

But by then it was too late. Natsuki had hit a girl with her bag.

"Oh! I'm sorry about that," Natsuki said, startled. "Did you hurt yourself?," she inquired as the girl with the long hair rubbed her aching arm.

"No, it's okay," the brown-haired girl replied, smiling shyly.

"Are you sure everything is all right?," Levi inquired seriously. He had come closer and could see the girl's arm. Hastily, the student pulled her thin cardigan over her bare forearm and nodded.

"You look quite like your mother," Ayumi said with a smile, to everyone's surprise. "Your mother is Marie Dok, right?"

Speechless, the girl looked at Ayumi.