42. "What do you mean by three phases?"

Ayumi's eyebrows narrowed slightly. Something was different. It was not her soft pillow. It was too hard for that. But it wasn't as hard as the ground or a branch in the top of a tree either. She noticed her hand moving rhythmically up and down and something warm was resting on her fingers. Blinking, she recognised the first light of the day. And that she had been sleeping snuggled up to Levi. She lifted her head from his shoulder and looked curiously at his sleeping face. She smiled as she noticed his relaxed facial expression. No boredom, no tenseness, no stress. He looked satisfied. As she wanted to remove a strand of hair from his face, she noticed that her hand was resting on his chest and his hand was lying protectively over it. Her heart beat faster as she remembered his gesture from last night. When she felt him beginning to move, she pretended to be asleep in a flash.

Levi's eyebrows narrowed as his legs touched something soft as he stretched. Slowly he opened his eyes and recognised Ayumi lying in his arm. It took him a moment to realise that his wish of the past months had now come true. A slight smile was visible on his lips. But as he remembered last night, he blushed. Sighing, he rubbed his eyes. Had he really done that? They were lying in his bed. From time to time, tears had run down Ayumi's cheeks. Because of him. He didn't want her to cry because of him. He wanted to show her how important she was to him. He had taken her hand and guided it under his shirt. Gently he had pressed it against his heart. It had calmed her.

Levi shook his head slightly. "How embarrassing." But as he looked at her, he couldn't help but just hug her tighter. He moved her hair out of her face, bent to her and kissed her forehead, the tip of her nose and her lips. When he felt her fingers running tenderly through his hair, Levi tilted his head. So she was awake.

"Morning," he whispered in her ear with a hoarse voice.

When she continued to show no reaction, he moved his lips along her neck.

"Ya!," cried Ayumi, her eyes wide. "Did you bite me?," she asked wide awake.

Levi laughed briefly before he laid on his back again and watched her as she sat in his bed, palpating her neck.

"Why?," she whined, rubbing her eyes.

"For letting me in the dark. How long have you been awake?" Levi stroked her arm.

"Not that long," she murmured, again carefully palpating her neck.

"That was a foretaste," he explained as he pulled her close.

"Of what?," she asked, looking up at him.

"This is what happens when you don't sleep in my bed every night." His words triggered the intended effect. Levi looked into a bright red face. "Since when are you so shy?," he teased her.

In response, she hid her face in his chest. Levi kissed her head and began stroking her back. Finally she crawled up until her lips touched his ear.

"Levi?," she whispered.

"Mm?"

"Are you serious? That I'll sleep here every night? From now on?"

"Mm." He kissed her. "And now get out of here."

"What?" Ayumi didn't understand.

"Before someone finds you here," Levi explained, pulling the blanket away from her.

Sleepily, she crawled out of the bed and grabbed her trousers with a sigh. Longingly, she looked back at the cosy blanket as she buttoned her trousers and put on her shirt. With half-closed eyes, she finally followed Levi out of the small room. "So this is our bedroom now?" Ayumi grinned and yawned unabashedly.