Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"So this is the market, if you wanted the freshest produce be here at seven am when they open. Other wise you'll get the bruised gross stuff. The school house is next to the market, the kids spend most of the time there even if its not a school day, it has a nice hang out spot. The medical tower is down that road to the left, Boss works in that building most of the time. The neighborhood for the homes are to the right, they spread out through the woods. Our perimeter is pretty large so even if you cant see our walls, you're still safe. Our security building is next to the medical building, we will head there after I take you to boss' house and you get settled." Nova goes on to explain the lay out of the camp as I take in the scenery. Theres kids making fireworks from their hands, little wolves wrestling with each other, men and women cleaning up camp messes at lightening speed. I was confused and amazed all at the same time. I kept following Nova until we reached a Cottage a bit of a distance from the camp on a small hill. A brown picket fence framed the front and bricks made the foundation of the home. "and this is home sweet home, well for you at least I don't live here anymore." she says and I looked at her confused and she smirked. "come on lets go inside." she says and I follow.

Inside the house was beautiful, just like something I had seen in those old books, dark hard wood floors a living space with a fire place to the right and a dinning hall and kitchen to the left and a wooden stair case just ahead of the front door. "wow" I say breathless at the home looking around "Inside the wall everything is so technical and sterile, all white no color besides hues of blue, this is amazing." I say with a smile "it feels like a real home" I trace my hands against the railings of the stair case. "these homes, this campsite was what was left of this area after the war." she says reminiscing "before your dad came, these were in horrible condition." she says almost sad "we hid here to protect ourselves from the corpse and the elements, but your father." she says almost choking back tears "he saved us. He taught us how to rebuild, he taught us to make these home better, to fix what was here, to have protection, to fight. Without him we would probably all be wiped out right now." she says looking away from me. "thats why we think of him so highly, I hope that those traits have passed to you." she says looking at me with tears. I suddenly feel a lot of pressure to be something amazing, these people need guidance and leadership and I think if something were to happen to my father that may fall to me. I grab her shoulder to nurture her " I don't know much yet about this place who you all are, but I do know somethings that I will bring here. I know technology, I know medical, I know how to build as my father taught me, and I know how to fight even if it didn't seem like it before" I say jokingly on the last part to lighten the mood. "come on lets go upstairs." she says.

"Boss' room is downstairs near the kitchen, this room will be yours, you will have your own bathroom too." she says guiding me and I look around the room. It looks like if he had always been waiting for a visitor. A  large wood post bed filled the middle, and a dresser next to the bathroom door. Not a lot, but just enough for me. "my old clothes are in this closet so if you need anything I am sure you can find it in here. none of these fit me anymore." she said gesturing to her body. these clothes were definitely smaller than her frame now. she towered over my short stature. "why would your clothes be in my dads house?" I asked. She laughed at me and smirked "You for sure did not catch on early." she said laughing. I looked at her confused "Your dad is married to my mom." she said. My mouth must have dropped to the floor because Nova could not stop laughing.

 "When my mom saved your dad they rebuilt everything here together, they created this together and they got married to make the process of us creatures with humans out here smoother and in the process they fell in love." she said and I couldn't help, but let an 'aw' escape my lips "Kinda cringe though" I said after and we both started laughing. "So wait thats why my dad asked you to help and why you're so relaxed around him, you're his daughter." I said connecting pieces. "Well technically step daughter, but he is the only father I have ever known. My dad died in a corpse attack before I was born and my mom gathered everyone we could to bring them here." she said "I'm so sorry" I said to her "it is okay, how do you grief someone you have never known?" she says waving her hand in dismissal. "so that like makes you my step sister." I say and she nods "howdy sis" she says with a playful two finger salute. I couldn't help myself, but to hug her. I have always felt so alone and wanted a sibling, and now I had someone. "woah okay there pipsqueak I don't do the hugging thing." she says pushing me off her. "sorry" I say shyly. "its okay, get dressed a meet me down stairs and I will tell you more."