Prologue

It's a warm Monday afternoon. Today was your first day of high school, and your third week of living in San Fransokyo. San Fransokyo was beautiful. Everything about it was gorgeous. You'd hoped that the high school here would be different than the one in your hometown. You had dreams of arriving and making a lot of friends and fitting in and getting good grades while maintaining a balanced social life. Things never really go as planned, though.

Give it time, You told yourself. It's just the first day.

You couldn't help but feel discouraged. And hungry. You looked around the street. You spot a little cafe on the corner. You fished in your purse for money. You had enough for a sweet and a drink. You carefully crossed the busy road and walked into the Lucky Cat Cafe.

You stepped up to the counter. A lady with short, frizzy brown hair smiled at you. "Welcome to Lucky Cat Cafe. May I help you, sweetie?"

You looked at the menu. "I'll take a sweet tea and a chocolate muffin, please."

"The next batch of chocolate muffins are still in the oven. You wouldn't mind a little wait, would you?"

You smiled. "Not at all. I'll just have a seat."

The lady smiles and nods. You turn around and head to a table. Just as you step away,  a small kid runs straight into your legs. You tumbled to the ground, taking the kid with you. Everyone gasped as you fell.

"Hiro Hamada!" The lady screamed. "Watch where you're going!"

The kid scrambled up. "Sorry!" He shouted before running off.

You sighed and tried to pick yourself up.

"Here," A voice says. You looked up and met a pair of big brown eyes. "I'll help you." He held a hand out, which you took. He pulled you up. Everyone watched until they realised that all of the exciting stuff was over. You blushed and straightened out your clothes.

"Thanks," You said.

"Not a problem. I'm sorry about my brother. He's just a clumsy kid."

You laughed nervously. "It's fine. No harm done."

He nodded. "Oh. I'm Tadashi Hamada."

"___."

"Oh, you're the new girl." Tadashi said.

You nodded. "Yeah."

"We're in the same biology class," He said.

"Yeah, we are."

"So. When did you move here?"

"Just a few weeks ago."

From that conversation on, something just clicked. You were suddenly attached to   Tadashi. He started sitting with you at lunch, pairing with you during labs, and inviting you to study sessions. You found your best friend and the life you had always wanted that day.