Chapter Sixteen

| Tadashi's POV |

"Hey, sweetie," Aunt Cass greets Tadashi. He's sitting on his bed with a book on his lap.

"Hey," He says, smiling happily. His eyes fall to the gift basket. "What's that?"

Aunt Cass sets it on the foot of Tadashi's bed. "A gift. For you."

"From you?" He asks, scooting down the mattress. He unties the ribbon that holds the plastic together.

"No," She says. "It's from ___."

Tadashi stops. He looks up at his aunt.

"Tadashi, just take it," She says. "___'s really been hurting over this distance stuff."

Tadashi looks down. "She's hurting?" He asks quietly.

Aunt Cass nods. "A lot. So just take the gift. She really cares about you."

Tadashi doesn't reply. He keeps his eyes on the floor.

"Do we need to change your wraps? Add some aloe?" She checks Tadashi's burns that line his shoulder.

Tadashi winces. "No," He whispers. "I'm okay."

"Okay. Call me if you need me." Aunt Cass gets up and leaves.

When she's gone, Tadashi lifts the plastic. He smiles when he sees all of his favorite snacks and the books that he used to read with you. His eyes fall on the small piece of paper. He hesitantly lifts it. He unfolds the page, afraid of what's inside.

Tadashi,

I'm sorry.

Get well soon.

___

That's it. Tadashi was expecting so much more than what was written. Tadashi sighs. He puts everything back in the basket and lays down.

A little while later, Hiro walks into the bedroom. "Hey," He says. "You won't believe what I taught Baymax today."

Tadashi looks up and smiles. "What did you teach Baymax today?" Ever since the fire, Hiro has been programming Baymax with different skills.

"Show him, Baymax!" Hiro exclaims. Baymax starts kicking and chopping through the air. "Like our karate movies!" Hiro says. "Isn't he cool?"

"Yeah," Tadashi says. "That's. . . something. But he's supposed to be a nursing bot. That may undermine his nonthreatening, huggable design."

Hiro rolls his eyes. "That's what he said. You guys are overreacting."

Tadashi sits back against his pillows. "Don't ruin my robot," He warns.

Hiro laughs. "I won't, dude. Calm down." Hiro guides Baymax into his luggage so he can charge. Then he sits on the side of Tadashi's bed. "Whoa. Who got you a gift basket?"

Tadashi doesn't answer. "You can have it," He says.

Hiro opens a bag of chips and shoves a handful in his mouth. "A card," He mumbles. He picks it up and swallows. "Really, Tadashi?" Hiro shoots up.

"What?" Tadashi asks.

"Do you not understand? You're hurting her. You won't answer her texts or her phone calls, you won't go see her, you won't accept her gifts! What did she do to you to make you treat her like this?"

"Hiro, you don't get it," Tadashi says quietly.

"She loves you, you know."

Tadashi looks up at his brother. "She does?"

"You mean so much to her," Hiro says sadly. "I never knew that you could act like this."

Tadashi sighs. "I just. . ."

Hiro sits back down. "Tadashi, you need to work this out."

Tadashi nods.

Hiro gets up and heads for the staircase.

Tadashi stands up. "You're not going bot fighting."

"No," Hiro says. "That's all behind me, brother. I'm going to upgrade Baymax."

"Why?" Tadashi asks.

"Because Callaghan is missing and I saw my microbots last night. Don't you think that is a little strange?"

"So. . . you think Callaghan stole your microbots?"

Hiro sighs. "No. I think Callaghan was killed in the fire. The fire which was started by someone who wanted my microbots."

Tadashi nods. "Okay. . . and what are you going to do with Baymax?"

"I'm going to make us superheroes."

Tadashi laughs.

"I'm serious, Tadashi."

He seems serious about it. Tadashi stands up. "Then let's go."

"What?"

"Look, I'm not exactly a fan of your idea of changing my healthcare bot. So I'll join, instead," Tadashi says. "Let's go get your microbots back."