Chapter Nine

| Tadashi's POV |

"Hey, kid," Tadashi whispers to his brother when he walks in.

Hiro grins and goes to his bedside. He sits in the plastic chair. "Hey."

"You're actually happy to see me, huh?"

"I thought you were gonna die," Hiro says. "So yeah. I sorta am happy."

Tadashi smiles. "Really? You thought that I was going to die?"

"Uh. Yeah. Don't try that ever again."

Tadashi laughs. "Okay, okay. It's alright. I'm breathing. I just look. . . like. . . " He  turns his attention to the TV before he starts crying or something.

Hiro swallows and glances at it. "Another karate movie?"

"Yeah. I haven't seen this one."

"Looks pretty epic," Hiro comments.

"Tadashi," Aunt Cass says. "I told your friends to come by tomorrow to see if you're up for visitors."

Tadashi takes a deep breath.

"Sweetie, if it's your appearance you're worried about. . ." She places her hand on Tadashi's. "They won't mind."

Tadashi doesn't answer. What would he say?

"___ was here," She says as she sits on the small loveseat in the back of the room.

Tadashi's heart skips a beat. "She was?"

"Yeah. She really wants to see you."

Tadashi's memory flashes to the way he looked in the mirror. His distorted, grotesque figure. He looks down. "She can't."

Hiro looks up. "Huh?"

Tadashi's eyes burn into the white sheet that covers his legs. "I don't want to see her."

"Tadashi-" Hiro stands.

"I don't want to," He repeats angrily.

"Okay, okay," Aunt Cass interrupts. "Tadashi, honey, why don't you get some sleep? Hiro and I are going to run back to the house for a change of clothes and showers. Do you need anything?"

"No," Tadashi whispers.

"Okay," Aunt Cass says softly. "Let's go, kiddo."

Aunt Cass leaves and Tadashi turns the TV off. He lays back against his pillows and closes his eyes.

I don't want to see her.