The challenge

[Harry]

    The image of Draco's arrogant expression was still occupying Harry's mind when he walked into the common room.

Harry was still puzzled by his interactions with Draco. First he had insulted him in the train, which had felt like a stab right in Harry's chest. Then, he had asked about Harry's mother, and the brunette was sure a blush had came across the blond boys face for a split second after he had said good night to him. The next day, they were back to humiliating each other, as if nothing had happened. Hours after, they were organizing a challenge concerning who could seal the most letters without getting burned.

Of course, none of these confusing moments could change anything about the good mood Harry was in right now. He was finally going to do something that would give him an excuse to talk to Draco.

Detention went better than he had expected. Actually, it went very well. For once, they didn't have any of those stupid arguments they had the secret for. Harry even considered his conversion with Malfoy as a success. He had got him into participating in a challenge, and Harry would make sure he looses, whatever it takes.

For Harry, proving that he was superior was an exciting game to play with Malfoy. Little did he know how dangerous this game could become, because love is not a game that should be played.

Harry sat on his bed and started his homework. After a few paragraphs, he fell asleep, a smudge of ink 0n his cheeks.

The next morning, Harry was eating his breakfast when he caught someone staring at him.

Blonde hair.
Grey eyes.
Malfoy.
Not looking like he was about to assassinate someone.

Harry's heart didn't seem to mind the speed limit when he stared back at Draco, so affectionately he was sure his eyes would be heart-shaped if he was a cartoon character.

[Draco]

Draco was sipping his pumpkin juice, not lifting his gaze from Potter. When the brunette turned around, Draco almost spat his drink on himself. That was unlike him.

   He bit into his apple, still maintaining eye contact with Harry, before someone tapped his shoulder.

    "Is it true you saved Harry Potter?" a third year Slytherin asked.

    Draco glared at him.

    "Sorry. I didn't want to bother you." the kid said apologetically. "But thank you. Thank you for saving us."

     Draco was taken aback. It was the first time someone thanked him. He was glad he made that choice. It was one of the rare things he didn't regret doing. But what the kid would never understand is that even this act of saving the world had been selfish. He had done it only because it was Harry.

The rest of the day went by slowly but surely. With every minute that went by, Draco was getting closer to detention. Closer to Harry.

It had became a reflex for him to make some excuses for his attitude towards Harry. Today, it was because Potter was the only few people of his age, and as much as he hated to admit it, he and Potter were similar in quite a lot of ways: they both didn't have family support, and both were given missions that were way too complex for them. Unlike him, Harry was on the good side, so he would be a good influence. Draco hadn't made any friends since he arrived, and judging by the way Potter was always alone, he hadn't either. They could be friends.

Needless to say, Draco wasn't at all persuaded by his own arguments.

  Friends? You know that's not what you want.

Draco pushed the thought away. Far, far away, burying it deep down behind all kinds of spells, potions and random knowledge he had.

   After supper, Draco scribbled something for his essay, barley giving it any attention. It didn't matter much, since he had perfect grades for all of his other assignments in Potions.
His hand moved elegantly, without him needing to think. Even when his mind was in such a disastrous state, every letters that settled on the parchment looked like it had been crafted with much care.

    He walked out of the common room, along the corridors, unable to think about anything else than Harry and their letter sealing challenge.

When he arrived at McGonagall's office, Harry was already there.

"Earlier than usual, Potter." Draco said, disdain clearly audible in his tone.

"I take this challenge very seriously."

"I see. Well then let's get into it."

With that, they both started folding the letters, accumulating them in a pile.

Once in a while, Draco would catch himself staring at Harry, and he would go back to his work right away, relieved he hadn't been caught. The whole time, Harry had been doing the same, but because the concern of Harry noticing preoccupied his mind completely, Draco never had the knowledge of that.

"Twenty seven!" Harry said, breaking the silence that had settled in the office.

"That's impossible. I'm only at sixteen." Draco said, skeptical.

"Seventeen yesterday, ten today." Harry said proudly.

"I'm still more efficient than you are."

"At least I managed to do it without... ahhhh!" At that exact moment, the melted wax dripped on Harry's finger.

"Getting yourself burned? Consider that done." Draco made sure both his face and his tone stayed detached , but the pleasantry was was half-hearted.

"Ouch! This hurts!"

Draco looked at Harry's finger, on which a bruise had now materialized.
It was worse than the one he gotten the day before.

"Oh, is Potter baby going to cry?" Draco mocked, sounding incredibly childish. Of course, what he really meant was: HARRY DARLING ARE YOU ALRIGHT???

"Potter baby? What's that?" Harry said. Although the pain was still very much perceptible, it took him a lot of effort to not burst into laughter.

"You."

    "Don't call me that, Parkinson is going to be jealous."

    At the mention of her name, Draco stiffened. The slight smile that had previously light up his face vanished completely.

    "Go to the infirmary. Be quick, we still have work to do." Draco said, the usual coldness in his tone back again.