Chapter Three

The virus had ten people infected in the infirmary. Five of them suffered burns on their flesh, while another had broken their arm. Sitting in front of a boy with a violent cough, Emma looked around the crowded infirmary. She'd never had to heal so many people at once.

When his coughing stopped, she went to the next person and placed a hand on their chest. People believe the virus spreads through the cold air. It all started when that boy inhaled a large amount of cold air. Since the snow and wind mixed, children have become sick, burned, or dead.

"Izzy is burning up again!" Hanna called as the boy in front stopped coughing.

Emma walked toward the door, placing a hand on Izzy's forehead, her head scorching. It was as if her hand had been placed in a fire. The temperature would drop to a normal fever, but nothing more. Maybe some were healing, but she couldn't tell.

"Is it always like this?" Hanna asked, hopping between patients.

"No, I've never had to heal an epidemic," Emma murmured.

Slumping against the cot, it smelled of vomit and sweat. Emma wanted to vomit herself, but she managed not to. Going toward a girl, she pressed a hand on her cheek to heal the burn.

In a few seconds, the small burn vanished, and the girl stood on her feet. "If you don't have a coat, grab some garbage bags and put them on," Emma said.

That's the new fashion for either winter gear or garbage bags. Not every house had winter gear, which is especially important for those having to work in the snow. Uden Academy had its own campus-wide winter gear. They had given her winter gear for when she goes on breaks or ends up passing out from exhaustion. One time, she found herself in her bed, as Esme had sped her into the house.

Emma rubbed her eyes, but she couldn't sleep. Standing, she walked to another child who had thrown up in a salt bucket. There wasn't any salt in it, but a white garbage bag from the infirmary. She covered her eyes, placing a hand on the boy's chest. If she looked, she would vomit. Hearing footsteps, she dreaded that they were bringing in more bodies.

Mark came down the basement stairs, dressed in a green snowsuit and holding some blankets. He set them down and grabbed two buckets of vomit. "I'll go drain them out," he said.

She nodded as Mark grabbed the heavy buckets. "Thanks," she mustered out as he nodded, climbing the steps.

Normally, Mark, Zane, or Yara help with changing out the vomit. There had been some people that she had never seen come to help. She knows that Cindy hasn't been around much to help her anymore. Maybe she couldn't handle being around her because she couldn't save Melany.

Hearing violent coughing, she snapped from her thoughts and moved on to the next body. "I can't tell if they're getting better or worse," Hanna said, giving someone cough medicine.

They couldn't serve them soup to help with whatever they had. Someone might have a can of soup to eat, but it has become rare.

"I don't know either. I think the high fevers are going down," Emma sighed.

Emma didn't even feel cold with the electricity out. It might be a mix of wearing a warm sweater and sweatpants. She heard the sound of footsteps and assumed it was Mark, but she was wrong.

Henry and Finn carried in some bodies as they were still helping Greyson. "We have seven," Henry grumbled.

Emma stared as they set bodies against others. She shouldn't be surprised that Uden Academy brought people. Staring down, Katrina had been one of those violent coughers. Emma set a hand on her chest; Katrina had vomited on her shirt. Squeezing her eyes shut, she waited for the coughing to calm.