Chapter Nine

Zane watched Esme stare, perplexed, at the holes Conner had drilled. There were many different sizes, but he looked unimpressed with what he had done.

"And Ashley didn't create these?" she asked.

"We only got it at a certain length and need your help," Zane implied.

"I'm going to tie up Luke," Esme said, punching her palm. "Beat him up for this slash on my cheek. Because of Bella, Jason isn't going on a rescue mission. She's such a mom."

Zane knew about Bella's changed personality since Teagan had died. He understands that death is hard to overcome, but something seems suspicious about it.

"Okay, so I'm basically just dragging him?" Esme asked, pointing at Conner. "Are we making it wider or longer?"

Zane considered the length of the trenches as he pressed his lips together. "Wider at the ends. We're going to try and get extra supplies," he said.

Esme grabbed Connor's wrist as they flew down the last side. Connor drilled as Esme watched in awe.

"You're like a human drill," she said.

Conner breathed heavily as Zane watched the wall widen at the end. Flashing the light, he looked around the town. Some small buildings have already blown down, leaving them to get buried in the snow.

"We could start fires down here," Esme called.

"It's no different than getting burned in this snow," Zane sighed.

"I'm going to the power plant with Cindy," Esme beamed, bouncing on her toes.

Cindy wanted to actually do something. She has done a small number of things, but then she bops away quickly.

"I'm guessing you haven't asked her," Esme grinned, as Connor groaned. "Could you at least help me with some of the dirt? I'm not a shovel."

Esme cupped a handful of dirt and threw it on the ground. "Get me a shovel, and I'll dig faster than you," she said.

Suddenly, Talia jumped down into the trench, panic in her eyes. "Zane, I need help," she said, her brown eyes wide.

"The lantern is going to be the only light," Zane implied. He climbed out of the trench with a stepladder, pulling the rest of himself out.

"It's bad," Talia started.

"Where are we going?" he asked, watching his step to prevent falling onto the burning snow.

"Daycare," Talia said, stumbling their way into the place. "Come to the back."

He watched one girl soothe a child as he went into the back room. Angel and Layla stood in the room with Ilya on the floor, unconscious. Layla had tears in her eyes, while Angel stared at him with wide eyes.

"Ilya was shaking on the floor. She wouldn't respond or anything, and she seemed unaware we were even there," Layla started. "Then she snapped out of it and fell asleep."

Zane looked over at the unconscious girl. "She had a seizure," he stated. "Does she have seizures?" Layla shook her head and wiped her cheeks.

"Angel knew what to do because he has epilepsy," Layla said, sitting on her knees beside her sister. "Would Hanna or Emma know?"

Zane couldn't recall Ilya doing anything abnormal that would cause this. There was nothing that came to mind about this cause.

"Does she take medication?" Angel asked.

"Antidepressants, but she ran out. Ilya said she takes a different brand now," Layla explained.

Zane wasn't sure if he should bring her into the infirmary. It's been packed with those with the illness and burns, which Hanna and Emma were having a hard time managing.