Chapter Fifteen

It all felt like a daze after what happened at the power plant. Without Cindy finding them all, they'd probably be dead. Jason ran a hand over his face, still in pain. He probably should have gone rushing to see Bella in the infirmary, but he knew she'd refuse treatment if he showed himself.

"You and Scarlett probably would have died if Greyson hadn't lifted that piece off," James stated, sitting on the sofa. He had been left in a state of confusion and used by Scarlett's lies.

"What's the next step after no hydro?" Jade sighed, leaning her head against the wall. She wasn't part of the explosion but had been thrown by Greyson.

"It leaves the main issue of this blizzard and illness," Jason groaned.

"Luke's out of the picture, which is the good part," James implied. "The only thing I can think of would be finding Ashley, because she is definitely behind the storm."

"And you want to just skip town?" Jade asked solemnly as he slumped back against the piano stool.

If he skipped town, he'd be leaving people to fend for themselves. Jason has helped people, but he hasn't asked how he could help with the infirmary or the snow.

"Well, I doubt Ashley is standing in the plaza, waiting for me to show up," Jason muttered bitterly. "And Bella's injured, Greyson's hopefully at Uden, and I'm supposed to be the one helping."

"Just go looking then," Jade said, with her arms crossed. "We might find food. Well, we do know that Bryce and Mia both hit Ashley and stopped the storm for a second."

Thinking of Mia, Jason got flashbacks of something he shouldn't have seen. It felt wrong to see a girl with just a bra, dazed and amused, revealing it to him.

"Don't remind me of Mia," he mumbled.

"Did she..." James trailed, his own face red.

"I think you should go search for Ashley," Jade stated.

Jason let out a sigh, because isn't he the one who should be burning paths or helping with the burial of bodies? All of it left him undecided about what he could do next, since he didn't know Greyson's next move.

"It's the only way to stop the storm," Jade said.

Jason glanced at the thick snowfall in the raging storm. He wanted to help at each place, but he couldn't do each and every job.

"Is there a car with enough gas?" he asked.

Jade nodded, picking at some dried blood from her cheek. "There should be," she implied.

"Then the three of us will go," Jason said.

"Me? I ended up being part of the reason the hydro is out," James murmured.

"We need you because Jason is terrible at driving," Jade said.

"We'll be the J troupe," Jason suggested.

"No," Jade said. "I'm guessing we have to tell that housewife that you're leaving for war again."

It was a war against his own stepsister, or whoever she had been. Ashley, who has been leaving them each day struggling to survive in this place.

Jade went into the kitchen and grabbed two cans of green beans. Grabbing one water bottle, she shook it in her hand.

"Let's go," she said, pulling her scarf up.

All of their gear had been ripped or torn somehow. It might even have been from the incident at the power plant. He knew his own was probably from Luke, considering how much he used that noodle arm on him.