Chapter Thirty-Four

Tumbles looked at Scarlett blankly. "Wait, do you mean like you're actually having a baby?" she inquired.

Scarlett sat in the backseat of the car, with the others going to Sunny's. It felt strange in one sense, but she figured this would be the best way to protect the baby.

"Yes, I'm having a baby," Scarlett said.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" one young boy named Landon asked.

"You can't know the gender automatically," Scarlett said, but she wondered if the voice would reveal anything to her.

"Is the father Greyson?" Tumbles asked nervously as it grew oddly silent.

"Yes," Scarlett said.

"Why aren't you going with him?" one young girl named Odessa asked.

"I want to protect the baby," Scarlett implied.

Greyson was aware of the mutant child, but not that it was theirs. Eventually the truth will come out from someone, but he knew nothing about raising a child like her.

"Your baby is a mutant, right? It'd be cool if it could fly or shoot lasers from its eyes," Yara stated, looking back at them from the front.

"Shooting fire would be cool. Maybe it could create wind or something," Nevaeh implied with a smirk beside her.

"It takes nine months," Scarlett remarked.

She didn't even want to think about what other powers this child had. Greyson's own power had been enough, but deflection? That would mean they could reflect whatever was thrown at them.

"I heard the baby can bring stuff into the bubble. Imagine all the food we could get!" Yara grinned.

Inside, Scarlett felt danger from the mention of that. Bringing in a shopping store for clothes or Walmart for food? Scarlett didn't want to think about it.

"It's snowing again!" Landon called as Scarlett looked over at the window, seeing the faint snow.

"Please don't tell me it's the storm," Yara complained.

"Touch it," Nevaeh implied with a smirk.

Tumbles opened the window and held her hand out but it didn't burn. All of it had been regular snow, as she stared at her hand.

"Isn't it pretty, mommy? It hurts Ashley, but not you."

That voice in her head was her child talking to her, as if she had been sitting beside the baby.

"Did the baby say something?" Zane asked, driving the car.

"It's to harm Ashley," Scarlett implied.

"Good, let that snow harm that psycho," Landon stated with a nod.

Scarlett had loads of questions to ask the baby. What's your gender? Could you destroy those followers? That wasn't the main focus, but she wanted to protect the baby. Protect it from harm and leave Greyson, even if it had been a struggle to decide to go on Jason's side.

"It really talks in your head? Doesn't it sound like a girl or a boy?" Odessa asked.

"It's an echo that you barely hear," Scarlett said.

It had been strange how some of these people talked normally to her. She was used to people ogling over her or following along with the schemes she would perform. There was no fear in their voices or trembling when they stared at her, but questions.

"Ashley wants to kill your baby? That means I'll be a bodyguard," Landon pointed a finger at his chest.

"You have to be strong to be my bodyguard," Scarlett replied.