Chapter Thirty-One

"It's an overdose," Hanna said, looking at Zane.

Someone had informed him to come to the daycare urgently because something had happened. They stood outside the small bathroom in the daycare where Ilya lay dead. He has never dealt with this type of situation at the infirmary, but he is used to carrying dead bodies.

"I'll take her," Zane volunteered. He stepped into the bathroom and picked Ilya up, who had been covered with a towel.

Zane walked around some of the children, staring confused. He knew he couldn't plainly tell them that she had died, but someone would have to eventually. He assumed Angel or Bailey might say something since Layla wouldn't be able to handle exposing that information.

"Conner has dug a hole with his power," Xander said, rushing over. "Ilya didn't seem like the person this would happen to."

"Everything is unexpected in life," Zane implied.

"People need to realize the harm of drug use," Conner sighed, pulling himself out of the hole he made and shaking his head.

Zane carefully placed Ilya in the hole, with snow lightly falling around her. Once he set her down, he stared at her. "Thank you for the help," he whispered.

Xander began covering her body with snow. "That's another big helper gone," he stated.

They will still be able to look after the children, but not like Ilya did. She was always providing them with the care they needed that she risked her own mental health for them. He wasn't sure if all of this was one big accident or if she had planned it.

"Hanna has a request for us!" Talia called, rushing over while waving an arm. "We have to go to Uden Academy and find out who gave her the drugs."

Greyson hadn't made it back to town with everyone else. It'd be chaos if he left, but Hanna wanted them to do it. They needed to know who had drugs that weren't just medication and why they would even think about giving them to her when they knew she was going through withdrawal.

"Okay," Zane said.

They climbed into one of the cars, which had a tank full of gas. All four of them sat down as Talia set her legs on the dashboard.

"Whoever gave her the drugs probably knew that would happen," Xander implied.

"No, idiot, any person knows you shouldn't take street drugs," Conner spat.

Zane let out a sigh, seeing the dark school without anyone outside. Stepping out, he looked around and pulled open the doors. Inside, it had been dark, as he remembered some of the hallways. There were empty classrooms trashed, and the odd candles were placed around the school for some light.

"Do it again!" He heard a laugh as he glanced down the right hallway.

He spotted two people standing and facing each other with buckets over their heads. Both of them ran at each other, knocking into each other and bursting into laughter.

"What on earth?" Xander asked.

They walked toward the two who were on the ground. The boy lifted his red bucket, staring at him with knitted eyebrows. It wasn't someone that he recognized, but his actions weren't something people normally do around here.

"Sup, dude?" he greeted, wobbly standing on his feet as the girl lifted her bucket, seeing Mia.

"Hey cuties, what do you need?" she asked dumbly, still wearing the bucket on her head.

"Actually, we needed to talk to you. Did you give Ilya drugs recently?" Zane asked.

"Oh! Yeah, she wanted something to calm her anxiety. Someone said they were anxiety meds," she breezed, jumping on the boy's back. "You want some too?"