Chapter Twenty-Eight

Ilya felt as though she had been going around in circles, desperately in need of something to soothe her nerves. She was running out of options, especially since she couldn't access medication.

"Let's read a story!" one of the children cheered. Ilya weakly smiled, even if she felt that at any moment she'd snap.

"Bailey will read to you," Ilya chimed.

Bailey appeared with a nod. It's her break, which means she needs to find some alternatives to decrease these drug cravings.

Layla's been watching her like a hawk, which means she'd have to sneak away somehow. She thought of the surrounding people and wondered if Uden Academy had any. There ought to be someone who has some type of drug that she can take. Ilya tried to think of people who may have had drugs, but none appeared.

"It's your break," Angel said.

"I'm going to get some air," Ilya called, slowly standing with her whole body trembling.

It wasn't trembling in sadness or anger, but something she didn't know. It felt like you had a food craving and were desperate to eat that hamburger.

Looking around outside, she had to find some type of transportation. Seeing a bike on the ground, she grabbed it and started pedalling. She didn't realize how hard it was to pedal her way down the road. It felt like two cement blocks had been glued to her legs.

Ilya felt goosebumps form on her arms as she went down the dark road. Someone could pop out at any moment, and that's why she needed some type of drug. Something that'd calm the thought of someone pouncing out and scaring her.

Seeing the outline of the large school, she jumped off her bike rather than set it down. Two people stood up front, looking oddly confused by her arrival.

"Um, I need to talk to someone," Ilya said, twisting her sleeve with her finger.

"Alright," one tall boy responded.

She followed behind them in the dim school's dining hall. All around her, she could feel people staring at her. The two boys had taken her to meet eyes with a girl, who stared in a daze.

"She wanted to talk to someone." Both boys walked away.

"Why do you look stressed? Like you need to calm down," Mia said, grinning.

"I don't know how," Ilya murmured.

"Sleeping is a good option," Mia stated, laughing at her own response and almost falling out of her chair.

Ilya didn't know why the girl found it funny. She was barely able to sleep with all the stress from the children and the constant craving for something.

"Wait, do you need drugs?" Mia asked dumbly, sticking her tongue out. "You've come to the right person," she motioned a hand to follow.

Ilya watched the girl walk in a daze. She was almost in her own world as she made different facial gestures.

"You didn't get them from me," Mia implied, pointing back. "Say you found them on someone's lawn," she laughed, entering the girls' dorm room.

"I'm just stressed and anxious," Ilya remarked.

Mia opened a brown door, shuffling over while Ilya stayed in the doorway. The room was covered in Christmas lights, different posters of different mottos, and expensive decorations.

"Hello? Are you coming inside? My room is pretty cool, but all this shit I've stolen." Mia said. "Some of you Simcoe people have the jitters. I'm not some dog that's going to bite you."