Part 6

I stare at the gray walls of my room. Well, not my room. The room I'm staying at. After finishing the delicious but cold pasta I've been running the conversation with Daisy in my head over and over again. For hours. I just cant wrap my mind around it. And the way she made me feel. Safe. Like everything in the world is suddenly gone, it's just me and her.

But I can't think about it. I have to act like it's nothing. Especially if I get to join them for a little. I'm not planning to stay forever anyway. Just to help with that one thing. They don't need me getting in their way. And being on a mission with someone I care about? No, that could ruin the whole thing. I need to have my head in the game.

I check the digital clock on my nightstand. 4:35 pm. I don't even know what time I had woken up at. Probably late. In this place it's impossible to know what time it is without a clock. There are no windows, no noise coming from the outside.

I grab the water bottle Daisy left me, bringing it to my lips, but quickly realizing it's empty. Really? I don't remember drinking that much. I get up from bed and try to straighten out my hair. "Wish they had given me a mirror," I mumble, untangling the mess. Birds could mistaken it for their nest, for fuck's sake.

I pull on my sneakers that are put neatly by the door. Cute. There doesn't seem to be anyone in the hallway. I go right, trying to remember the way to come back. The hallways are nothing special, poorly lit, a little chilly. A big muscular man comes my way, holding a tablet and a weapon. Besides his size and muscles he doesn't look very threatening. Maybe he can help me.

"Hi. Uhh, I'm Leah Miller, and I was wondering, please, if you could tell me where I can get some water?" I try to ask him as politely as possible, my voice shaking a bit. Talking to strangers? Ew.

He turns to me with a friendly look in his eyes. "Daisy is coming in around 10 minutes with food and water. Do you think you can wait that long?" he asks.

Oh. Daisy's coming. "Yes, thank you. I'll get back to my room then," I give him a quick glance before turning around. Whilst the man turns right, I keep going straight forward. I get back to my room. I wonder if Daisy already spoke with Coulson. What if he doesn't agree? Do they just let me go? Nah, that doesn't sound believable.

I sit down on my bed, cracking my knuckles. I am actually nervous to see Daisy again. Although I'm good at lying, my body language could definitely betray me. Oh man, what if she already knows?

As I sit there letting my thoughts wander I hear a knock on the door. I breathe in and open it.

"Hey," Daisy says, smiling brightly. I can't help but smile too, forgetting everything for a second. "You going to let me in or what?" she suddenly asks. What? Oh. I open the door wider and step out of the way. She brings in a tray and places it on my bed.

"What's up?" I ask her. She seems very satisfied with herself.

"You're in. If you want. For a trial. Of course, you're going to need a lot.." Daisy stops talking as I rush towards her and wrap my arms around her shoulders. She is taken aback by my reaction, but after a second wraps her hands around me. Suddenly I realize what I'm doing and pull away. "Sorry. I mean- thank you," I stumble at my own words.

"Yeah, I know. You've been saying that a lot lately," she chuckles, leaning on the wall. A question arises in my head. "So, how did you convince him? Because he sure as hell didn't just let me join your secret band with a snap."

"Yeah, it took some time. He needs to know if he can trust you. And if you trust us. I don't know how much experience you have with working in a team, but it ain't easy. If you get through training, he says he'll consider. It's all up to you. And that won't be easy, I'm telling you now."

I nod. Makes sense so far. "So, when do I start?" I'm eager to get into it right away. The sooner we get done with it, the better. At the moment I don't even doubt that I'm going to get in.

"Whoa, take it easy now alright? Your hand still needs to heal, we can't risk it getting worse," she calms me down. "I know how much you want this, but it's better safe than sorry, right?"

I wave her off. "I can speed up the process. It'll be fine by tomorrow."

A small concern with a hint of interest flashes through her eyes. "Speed it up? Does it harm you in any way? Hurt you? Make you tired? You should really just let it be for a bit."

"What, are you worried about me, Daisy?" I smile at the thought.

She looks me dead in the eye, not a hint of playfulness in her eyes. "I'm serious. If you want to be a part of the team, you need to grow some patience. You start when Simmons says you're ready. She'll come check on you later today."

I huff. Of course. Well, it's better than nothing. Coulson could've said no, and that would've been it. I should be glad about how things have turned out. Yet I can't shake away my eagerness to get into it right away. The idea of someone hunting another Inhuman right now makes my insides twist.

I haven't spoken with Alicia after our little heated argument. Hell, I've barely thought about it. So much happened after that, that I had completely forgotten. But that doesn't mean I want something bad to happen to Alicia. I know, we're not best buddies right now, but it'll figure itself out. I wasn't right to attack her like that, she wanted to help. However, she should've talked about it to me.

I notice Daisy staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"You okay? I just watched your face go through all kinds of different emotions in 2 minutes."

I need to stop zoning out. It's already a bad habit, and no way in hell I can let it happen on a mission. Could be deadly. "Yeah, got lost in my thoughts. Did you say something?"

Daisy shakes her head lightly. "Never mind. Anyway, you should let your hand heal. I know the recovery is a bitch, but take it easy. Okay?" she says.

I nod. What else would I do? Look her in the eye and say 'No, actually, I was planning to put all my power into forcing my hand to heal faster?' Nope. Nobody needs to know.

______________________________________________

A/N: It's another boring chapter, I know, but I want to build it up slowly. Next one should already be more interesting. Tbh I have no idea where this story is going, I genuinely don't have a plan rn. Thank you for reading!!!