Part 14

"I'm here. What happened?" I notice a young girl, about 10-11, lying on a hospital bed. My attention turns to her arm which is weirdly bent and bloody. "Holy sh.. I mean- Sorry."

Coulson turns towards me. "She's hurt. Can you help her?" Straight to the point. Alright.

I nod. "Yeah of course." I hurry towards the girl. "Hi," I try to offer her a sweet smile. "I'm going to help you, alright?"

The girl gives me a weak nod. I gently go over her hand, detecting injuries. There are multiple fractures, but nothing I can't fix. "It might hurt a little bit, just know I'm making it better, okay?" I try to reassure the girl.

I can feel the nurses' eyes on me, following my every move, but I don't pay any mind to them. The girl cries out in pain as I start to heal the fractures. I make it as quick as possible to not hurt her any more than I have to.

It's what I've been up to for a couple of weeks now. Coulson has chosen me for a couple of missions as well, but due to my lack of interest, he let me be.

I'm not entirely sure why I like working in the base more. I guess I feel safer here. These missions really showed me how dangerous it can be as an agent. Don't think I'm fully ready for it yet. Even though Coulson said I acted amazingly on the missions.

I've also grown kind of distant from the rest of the team. Not intentionally. Except from Hunter, who invites me to play video games almost every night. Not complaining though. He tries to cheer me up whenever he gets the chance and I really appreciate that.

"You okay?"

I startle, but gather myself quickly and look up.

Coulson is staring and me with concern.

"Yeah. Yup. I'm okay. Sorry. Mind is wandering today."

"I get it. It's not easy. This job. But we're doing a good thing. You're doing a good thing. Thank you for helping us, Miller."

"Of course. I'd rather be here than... rotting in my apartment doing nothing, I guess."

"Listen, I know you're comfortable here, doing your own thing, but I've got a small lead on the Inhuman stuff." I immediately stiffen up. It's been a while since anything's came up related to Inhumans. "You don't want to be in the field, I get it. But this is important to you. So, I thought I'd just say this... in case you've cha-"

"What'd you find?" I eagerly stand up, anxious to find out the news.

"We might've found out who's... harming the Inhumans."

I scoff. "You mean the killing? Holes through chests? No need for modesty, Coulson. Who's behind it?" I'm ready to torture anyone killing my friends.

I've been sitting here for weeks, getting to do nothing for the Inhumans. My people. I've been feeling guilty for being safe here while some of them are fighting for their lives. But now Coulson's giving me all I need to beat the shit out of those little shitbags. I've been longing for that for a while now.

"There's a group. An organization."

***

"You alright?" Bobbi asks. "You seem a little pale."

We're back from the mission and I'm hanging out with Bobbi. The mission was draining, but it wasn't even that bad. Plus, I think we did good, so this better help us catch the Inhuman killer.

"Oh- Do I?" I shake my head and give her a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. Really."

She nods, but doesn't seem convinced. "You can talk to me, you know. Us. The team. We're all here for you."