Part 12

"Shh," I raise a finger to my lips. The whispers fade. I take the safety off and aim the gun at the door. My hands are a bit shaky from the loss of energy, but still firm enough to make the shot. I can barely put up with the tension, the air is thick of anxiety and fear.

"We know you're in there," a man speaks up with a teasing tone. "There's no reason to hide. You, the Inhuman. Come with us. I promise, these people will be safe if you do."

"I don't trust you."

"There's no reason why you shouldn't. We could use someone with your powers. Come on. They aren't worth it."

I grip the gun tighter, pushing myself to not pass out. My ears are ringing and I can hardly breathe due to the blood flowing through my nose. "Not going to happen."

"Fine. You asked for it." He kicks the door open with a foot and comes in with 3 other guys. 7 of them then. I don't hesitate and shoot. 4 bullets. Only one of them hits. It goes to one's leg. He winces in pain, but it doesn't seem to do much. My hand goes numb and I drop the gun. Fuck. What I'd do for a 5 minute sleep right now.

They laugh and come closer. "You really thought that was going to work, huh?" one of them speaks up and smirks at me. "You gave us your best, now it's our turn."

"You haven't seen my best," I smirk back and wipe my bloody nose into the sleeve.

"Oh really? Then why don't you show us?" he suggests. "Right, you can't."

"Go fuck yourself."

He comes even closer and crouches down to my eye level. "Come with us. You won't ever have to feel weak again."

"You're not giving me much of a choice, are you?"

He hums in answer and walks up to the hostages. "If you want them to live, you'll come voluntarily."

"In your dreams, you piece of shit."

"Alright. That's on you." He yanks a man's head back and places a knife on his throat. "Your choice."

I don't look at the man. I can't. I need a plan. There're no options.

"I'll come. Just step away from him."

"Good choice," he smiles.

I slowly stand up, picking up the gun in motion. Nobody seems to notice though. They're all busy sending weird looks back and forth. Once I'm close enough I send a bullet to each of them. This time I don't miss. I tried not to hit any important organs, just in case. Maybe we'll need them.

They all fall to the ground, passed out. Man, imagine if any of them had self healing powers or immortality or something. Lucky me.

I lean on the wall as my balance gets shitty again. I would sit down and say I need more time, but I have to get these people out of here. We may not be safe just yet. I hope my buddies are close because I am not going to last much longer.

"Let's go."

Some people stand up, some stay on the ground, unsure. "Your guy told us to stay here. Don't you think we should?" One of them asks me shyly.

"You really want to stay here with a bunch of bad guys who could wake up any moment? Don't be an idiot. Let's move."

This seems to convince more of them.

We go down the stairs to the first floor. Everybody jumps as we almost run into someone. I raise the gun subconsciously, but quickly realize there's no need for that.

S.H.I.E.L.D.

Finally.

"We're safe, don't worry. They're with us," I tell the frightened people behind me.