Scooby Support

I need to stay focused.

I sit back in my chair around the Magic Box's main table, watching the customers look through the items on the walls.

Not entirely sure what it was that happened with B the other night, but I can't get distracted. I can't let whatever's going on with B split my focus from my dad. If he and I are going to have any kind of relationship, I can't be starting anything with anyone else. Especially if I'm going to figure out whether my dad knew about my mom. I have to be able to see straight and pick up on the kinds of cues I was too distracted with Mom when she showed up. Maybe if I hadn't been so caught up in B and fixing things between us, I could've seen her coming and wouldn't have almost died.

Of course, I could just be blowing this up bigger than it is. B might not have even felt anything the way I did. Things weren't like they've been in the past. I didn't feel that raw need for her I've felt so many times before. I wasn't about to jump her bones. I just... liked that feeling, whatever it was. I probably could've been there like that for a long time and not even minded. We were just... comfortable with each other.

I glance over at B who is sitting a few seats away, trying to act like she's focused on a book when it's obvious she's not actually reading it.

Is that for me? Is she trying to avoid focusing on me because of what happened? Or am I reading too much into things? B's always been like me in that way. It's one of the things I liked about her. Never really been about the education of it all. She's probably just trying to look busy and not bother the customers. Maybe if I wasn't thinking so hard about B and what's going on with us, I'd be able to focus on my dad and what's about to happen with him.

"Thank you very much for coming, we'll be open again tomorrow for your convenience."

Giles leads the last of the customers out with their purchases, closing up behind them. He turns around and heads back to us. B puts the book down, smiling at me before turning her focus on her Watcher.

Gotta stay focused.

Like her, I turn to Giles while Xander sits down on the other end.

"So... what's up? You wanted to have us all here."

That has my focus shifting to Xander at his question.

"Yeah, it's nothing major exactly. We just wanted to see what you think about something."

"Do we have to do anything?"

I look over at Anya along with the others at the table, the ex-demon finishing up at the cash register.

Always fun to have her commentary.

"You might."

"Hopefully it's not hard. I mean, I'm still recovering."

I kinda chuckle at that.

"Well then think of it as you paying me back for saving your life then."

Anya watches me fora second, then lets out a frustrated huff.

"Fine, what is it?"

B and I look at each other and the look on her face is encouraging me to say it.

"I'm thinking about going to see my father."

I can hear the confusion in Xander's question.

"Your father?"

Might as well just jump right into it.

"Yeah, after everything that happened with my mom, I got Giles to dig up his info for me. And... I gave him a call. We've been talking about seeing each other."

There's a silence for a while.

"Wow, sounds like a pretty big deal."

I shrug at the suggestion.

"I guess. I mean, we're still figuring things out, but... that's kinda the point. B and I talked about it and we figured she'd come with me."

B jumps in with her usual fun comment.

"Be her emotional support slayer."

"But... it leaves us with a big problem."

"Mainly, the big hole in the ground that's a portal to hell. We probably don't want to leave it without a guardian. If we go off to Boston, some big bad could sweep in and end the world."

"And you're worried that we can't handle it?"

B and I look at each other.

"Well, it depends on how big the baddie is. We think you can handle a few vampires. It's anything bigger that we're worried about."

Anya speaks up.

"We could always ask Spike for help."

Both of us laugh at the idea, but B gets to the question first.

"And you actually think he'd help?"

"Can't hurt to ask."

Not sure I agree with that.

"It might hurt him. I'll probably do it."

B looks at me, kinda curiously.

What's that about?

Xander decides to get into it.

"Okay, let's keep talking... what about The Council?"

It's B's turn to laugh at that.

"How about no?"

Definitely on the same page there.

"Yeah, gotta go with B there. The less we see of those British yahoos the better."

I turn to Giles.

"No offence G-man."

He smiles.

"Absolutely none taken."

Xander comes back in with the obvious.

"That kinda limits our options. Who else do we call?"

What about...

"Angel?"

Everyone looks my way at that. B's the first to say anything.

"You think he'd do it?"

I shrug.

"Or at least he'd know someone we could ask."

"It's better than our other options."

Xander offers his concern.

"Is he even available? He's probably busy running an evil law firm."

I look over at Xander.

"He's got his reasons."

"I'm just saying, are we sure we can trust anyone he might send?"

B shifts in her seat, looking at me.

"He's not wrong."

I give her a concerned look.

She doesn't trust him?

"He could be."

She watches me for a moment.

Okay, if this is an issue for her, maybe...

"So, we'll vet whoever it is. Make sure they're solid or something."

Giles offers his thoughts.

"Do you wish me to contact him?"

B and I look at each other.

Probably the easiest way to do it.

My fellow slayer is the first to say anything.

"Sure."

I look around at our friends.

"Unless any of us have any other ideas."

Silence follows from everyone.

Sounds like we know what we're doing.