Placing Bets

Faith was right.

We walk along the sidewalk together, heading to our destination.

I feel a lot better after that. It was really hard and I almost didn't want to do it a few times on the way back from Boston, but Faith said I would feel better if I did it. And I do. I feel so much better with things resolved between my dad and I. Or at least as resolved as they can be since everything I had to say and do to make it work. He actually ended up coming here and meeting me. We talked about what happened to my mom and Dawn and now he knows. Even if the details aren't exactly what I would've wanted them to be.

I didn't want to lie to him about Dawn. Tell him she died in a car crash with Faith rather than what really happened. But I saw what happened when Faith told her father about vampires and other supernatural things. It could've gone so badly. The fact that it didn't doesn't mean it couldn't have been much worse. I don't want that for my dad. Especially if I have to tell him the truth about Dawn and what she really was... at least for the supernatural stuff anyway. Not to mention, what made her a target for Glory and who her parents really were. That's so much worse then just telling him that vampires are a thing.

It would hurt him so much worse. He remembers all the things he did for her as a father. He brought her home from the hospital and did everything he could to raise her right. He helped plan her birthday parties and got her presents. He was there for her first steps and her first words. I can't take that away from him, even if it didn't technically happen. No matter what issues he and I still have, I know he loved Dawn like a father should. Maybe he didn't show it in the last few years, but he definitely didn't stop. I know because I feel the same way.

Knowing what it's like to have a kid, I know you never really stop loving them, not even with death. I had to tell Mom because of Glory and the danger she posed. She had years of experience with magic and vampires and everything. It was easier for her to accept what happened. But my dad hasn't had any kind of experience with any of that. I can't spring that on him and then tell him his daughter was actually mine and Faith's. It would just be too much.

We turn down the corner towards Giles' place.

With him going back to New York, I don't have to worry about any of that. I just have to focus on the fact that he was willing to come when he found out about Mom and Dawn. There's a chance we might actually have a relationship now. If we decide to keep going anyway. We'll just have to figure things out.

"You okay B?"

I look over at her as we walk.

"Yeah..."

"It's okay if it ain't B."

I smile back.

"I know. But I'm good, honest."

"You're sure?"

I take a deep breath.

"I get that you're worried. But it's kinda like you said. I feel a lot lighter because he came. We had the kinda talk that we'd been avoiding for years. So all that stuff just isn't there anymore. Or I just don't really feel crazy about it. Not like I did before. That's how you felt right?"

She smiles back.

"Basically, yeah. It's pretty weird isn't it?"

She's not wrong about that.

"You could say that."

"I mean, we've had all kinds of crazy conversations over the years. Especially since we found each other again. They were really hard. But... these weren't that terrible."

"They were... easy."

That's one way to say it.

"Yeah... what do you think that means?"

She gives me a curious look.

"Means?"

"That we can have conversations like that and they were easy."

She just shrugs back.

"I don't know. Maybe we're growing up?"

I chuckle at that.

"Stranger things have happened."

She laughs.

"No, they haven't."

I laugh too.

"I guess not."

We just walk down the street for a while.

"So... you think everything went okay with the guys?"

I look over at her.

"Why wouldn't it?"

"I don't know. But with our history, it's kinda safe to assume isn't it?"

She's not wrong.

"True."

"Wanna place bets on how bad it is?"

She wants to bet on things? Hmm...

"What do I win?"

She chuckles.

"Who says you're going to win?"

"Me."

She watches me for a second.

"Okay, how about... loser buys the winner dinner?"

Wait... is she asking me out?

I shrug playfully.

"Sure, why not? I could use a good meal."

"Pretty confident in yourself, aren't ya B?"

"Well, why wouldn't I be?"

She laughs at that a little.

"Okay... so, scale of one to ten. With ten being the apocalypse, what do you want to go with?"

Hmm...

"How about... a six?"

She gives me a half grin.

"Feeling hopeful are we?"

I just give her a shrug back.

"You might say I have faith."

"Well if you want more all you have to do is ask."

Okay, now she's seriously flirting with me.

"You want to put in a counter offer?"

"Eight."

"What?"

"I'll go with an eight in terms of the apocalypse."

We make it up to Giles' house.

"Deal."

"Okay, let's go find out who wins."

I offer to let her go first, putting my hands out to Giles' place.

"You first."

"Thanks B."

She heads for his front door and I can't help but see her shaking her butt in front of me. I follow her with a great view.

She's definitely flirting with me. I mean, I like it but this is definitely a change from what we've been doing. The whole walking in on each other naked was an honest mistake, but she's definitely not making a mistake now. This is intentional.
I guess the question is whether or not I want to take her up on it.

I watch her ass move for a few steps.

I definitely wouldn't say no. I feel great after all this and maybe I'm in a place now where I could handle it. But I'm not sure if I'm ready for anything serious. Anything that happened between Faith and me would probably be serious. Especially with our history. I don't know if I can handle that. Maybe I'll have to talk to her about it when I win the bet and she takes me out for dinner. Assuming I win anyway, which I probably will.

We make it to his front door and Faith opens it, walking inside. I follow her in too and see Xander and Anya sitting together. Giles comes in from his room as we do. Xander's the first to say anything.

"Hey Buff, how's it going?"

I smile at him.

"Not bad actually, thanks."

Giles does the same to Faith.

"How did it go with your father?"

She sits down in one of his chairs and I find my own.

"Good. Definitely feel better then I did before I left."

Xander responds.

"Good, a cranky slayer is a bad slayer."

She smiles at that and so do I.

I missed him.

Faith looks around, obviously curious.

"Where's Connor?"

She's right, I figured he'd be here.

I add to what she said.

"Is he out on patrol?"

Xander, Anya and Giles all look at each other.

Well that can't be good. Maybe Faith was right about an apocalypse or something.

Anya's the first to say anything.

"We sent him home."

Home?

I look over at Faith and she's got a confused look on her face too.

"Why?"

Just then, a voice comes from behind us.

"Because of me."

I turn to the door to see a brunette standing just inside the doorway with a smile on her face. Faith asks before I can.

"And who are you?"

"I'm the slayer."

What?

I look at Faith and she's just as confused.

"Well, one of them anyway."

Whoever she is walks up to me and puts out her hand for a handshake.

"My name's Kennedy. It's nice to meet you."

Who the hell is this?

End