chapter twenty-seven

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE YOUNG GODS
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

" SHE STABBED ME! "▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

" SHE STABBED ME! "
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

      PICKING UP HER knife, Rosie knew she was close. All she had to do was to retrace her footsteps. They had made many turns before hanging Alby up. She felt the sun shine on her and it made her body worse. She loved the heat but she hated how dehydrated and tired she felt. Rosie kept going, she did not want to spend another night in the maze.

       She breathed in and out somewhat proud of herself not getting killed yet. Rosie keeps walking at times fearing that she'd get stung. She does her best to remember the path they took. Getting more hope, she realized she had made a turn where they tied Alby up. The boys had probably been able to get out.

She didn't know if to feel good about them getting out or feel betrayed that they left her behind. How no one was sent after her? It was against the rules and she knew that. She just hoped that they'd break the rules for her. But, Rosie asked them to treat her like the boys so they did. No one was sent to look for her. They probably thought she was dead.

Rosie kept going remembering the last few turns they made. Her feet were giving up on her, she wanted to fall on the floor and cry. She knew she was close so she had to push through it all. Hope rose in her chest when she heard familiar voices.

"Stop wasting your time, Jimmy, she's not coming back." Anton spoke hitting the boy on the back of his head. "Get back to work. People are starving."

       Jimmy shook his head rubbing the spot that was hit, "no. Ander has it under control. He told me I could wait here for Rosie."

        "She's dead, shuck-face!" Anton raised his voice, "get it in your small brain."

        "Leave me alone!" Jimmy replied back with a little crack in his voice. "She's not dead!"

        Anton let out a chuckle, "whatever man, waste your time."

       Jimmy could feel his face heat up and tears forming in his eyes as Anton walked away to his station. Jimmy had so much hope for her to be alive. He knew she was. He wouldn't be able to accept the fact if she wasn't alive. The boy sat down crisscrossed as he stared at the ground. Tear drops fell down his face and onto the grass as he kept himself occupied by plucking pieces of grass.

      "Jimmy?" Rosie announced as she couldn't hear arguing anymore. Maybe she took the wrong turn.  Rosie stopped to think it over. It was straight or take a right. She hoped for the best and took the straight path.

       Jimmy's head shot up as he thought he heard his name being called from inside the maze. The boy stood up. "Rosie!" Jimmy called loud enough for a few of the Gladers to hear him. The boy jumped in excitement seeing the girl turn a corner and a breath of relief rushed out of Rosie's lips.