The Ambitious Boy

—11 Years Ago—

"Papa! Papa! Tell me a story!" a little half elf exclaimed. His ears were the size proportionate to that of a human's, but it was thin and sharp. His hair was short, the color was white but with a slight hint of yellow and green. When he walked the streets of Silthret, he would get stares. He was scared as people always stared at him no matter where he was. He thought he was hated. An outcast. But in reality, many adored him. In everyone's eyes he was beautiful. If not for his ragged clothing, people would have thought he was a child of a noble.

"Alright Ron! Let papa tell you a story from mama's homeland." His father, Eldward, took a deep breath and continued, "Once upon a time, there was a goddess. She was stunning. A beautiful woman. Her hair was a silvery blue, her eyes were like shiny golden pearls."

"This goddess once came down to this world quietly and built a city deep within the Great Forest that covers most of the land in this world. The city she built prospered. They had the most delicious food ever eaten and the most advanced technology ever seen. It was open to creatures of all sorts. They said that it was a Utopia. This goddess was said to be perfect, so perfect that even the most evil of those legendary demons would stop their evil deeds shall they be instructed to by the goddess."

"When the world was in danger of being destroyed, this goddess stepped up and erased the threat from existence. When people were in danger, she would reach out a helping hand and save them. She would even distribute names to Monsters and Demi-humans like they were meant to be. Everyone loved and adored her, promising to be in service of her to repay her kindness. But one day, her country had betrayed her. They thought they no longer needed her. They blamed her for forcing their families into labour. Even then, the goddess did not say anything. Seeing that she was not wanted anymore, she retreated back to the heavens, bringing the other 13 Gods and 28 minor deities back with her."

"As the Gods and Godly Figures disappeared from this world, order had vanished. Disastrous wars broke out left and right. With no one powerful enough to stop the war, the world collapsed. Even though they brought the destruction upon themselves, the final words the people muttered were still 'It's all her fault'. There were so few survivors left that life in this world almost faced extinction. They labeled the goddess, 'The bringer of Chaos, The Great Demon Lord' , named that event "The Wipeout" and pinned all the blame onto her. The End."

"Now Ron, that was the story of the Great Demon Lord. What do you think of it?" Eldward asked the little half elf.

"The goddess must be sad! Her own people betrayed her!" The boy, feeling emotional after hearing the story, tried to say happily as the little cracks in his voice could be heard.

"Yes Ron! That's why you must never betray other people's trust, promise?" Eldward asked.

"Promise!"

"Okay, good boy! Now its time to go to bed! Tomorrow's your birthday! You're gonna turn 4 so we're having a big celebration with mama!"

"Okay papa. Goodnight!"

Ron went to sleep that night full of joy. But unbeknownst to him, that day would be the last day he got to be a child.

The next morning, Ron woke up excited. It was finally his birthday and he couldn't wait to celebrate with his parents. He burst into his parents room shouting, "Papa! Mama! Its the big day! Its my birthday today!"

"Yes Ron! Happy Birthday! Now papa is at work now so lets wait for him to return in the evening with a present, okay?" Ron's mother asked.

"Yes mama!" Ron responded eagerly. He couldn't wait to see what his father would get him this year. Last year, it was a book filled with magic spells for beginners. For normal children, they would have loathed books as it meant they had to study. But for Ron, he was fond of studying. Especially magic. He had heard many stories of a time before The Wipeout and how advanced civilisation was then.

Despite his young age, Ron was rather mature for someone so young. He longed to one day rediscover this knowledge from the legends and earn his family merit so they do not have to keep leaving a poor life.

Although it all sounded like people imagining things that they wished magic could do, Ron believed it was real. His mother had always magically disappeared and reappeared in his parents' room. It was real life teleportation. Something that he never heard people even imagine of.

.

.

.

It was now already 8pm, but Eldward has yet to return home. Ron's mother was sitting at the dining table, shaking her left leg up and down and tapping the table impatiently with her fingers.

When the doorbell finally rang, Ron's mother immediately got up, sprinted for the door and swung it open. Upon seeing a man in military uniform stand at the doorstep, she immediately fell to her knees and burrowed her face in her hands, as if already knowing what the man was about to say.

Ron, hearing the doorbell ring, immediately ran as fast as he could downstairs. When he was halfway down the stairs, he could hear his mother crying, so he decided to hide halfway up the stairs. He knew it was not a right time for him to appear, so he tried to eavesdrop on what the man in military uniform had to say.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Grimwald, it has been reported——"

The man's voice cut off. Ron saw as the man knelt down in respect and leaned towards his mother's ear and whispered something inaudible to Ron.

After the man was done, he stood back up turned around and stepped away from the door. Bowing once, he lowered his hat to cover his eyes and said words that filled in the gaps of what he did not manage to pick up earlier, "I am sorry for your loss."

The festive mood in the house had been lost. Ron rushed up the stairs, not even bothering to conceal his presence and rushed back into his room. He dove into his bed head first and burried his head in the ragged bedsheets. He tried to hold back his tears but they still flowed out endlessly. Crying himself to sleep, he mumbled to himself, "I will kill them all. Damned Felrem bastards, I will kill all of you."

————————————————————————

I think this was pretty good start. Chapters after this will take a little longer cus life will be busier for me. Either ways i'll try to post at least 1 chapter a week.