Chapter Thirteen | Damage

                   "Jaylin, what the hell were you thinking?!" Her voice rose until I could hear the vibrations of every word and syllable bouncing off the walls in a rhythmic pattern as it echoed relentlessly in this unnecessarily large room.

She paced around back and forth in front of me with one of her hands placed firmly at her waist and her other hand pinching the bridge of her perfectly structured nose. Her eyes were closed shut and she'd occasionally suck in ragged breaths in order to keep herself from blowing up any further, so far it was working but Moon Goddess only know how long it would last.

It probably didn't help that I watched her pace around and try to maintain her anger with the back of my head lying on the soft dark colored L-shaped couch in the most lax position ever which would do nothing but anger her further if she saw my current position. So before those deep brown eyes of hers could reopen and see me in my current uncaring stats, I sit up because I wanted to leave as soon as possible. I was here for almost two hours now.

Her eyes opened, she stopped moving, and she looked at me with a glare. "Do you have any idea how much damage was done and how expensive it'll be to fix because of you two?!"

"Mom..." I begin with a sigh as I look up at her. "The entire thing wasn't even my fault. I didn't cause all of that damage either!"

"Oh, so you think you played no part in anything that happened? Is that what you're trying to tell me Jaylin Wilson?" She began to tap her feet against the hard wood floor impatiently with her eyebrows arched in disbelief and her mauve stained lips pursed.

I sigh as I run a hand down my face and stand up. Now I'm looking down at the short woman who's expression hasn't faltered one bit. She looks up at me with her eyes still narrowed into slits like she wanted to dissolve me into the ground herself.

"When you think about it, you're yelling at the wrong person here. It's Xanders fault. He did all of the damage so why are you yelling at me?" I retort, shoving my hands defensively into the pockets of my black jogger shorts.

"That's a joke, right?" Kaylee snorted, butting into the conversation from her place on the loveseat that just a few feet away from where mom and I stood.

I look over at her and curse silently as I glare at her to shut the fuck up but the look in her eyes told me that she didn't intend to do that. I expected it though.

"Jay, love you bro but I literally tried to warn you while you were in your little heated speech about how much you hate being Xanders mate —"

"It was not a speech about how much I hate being Xanders mate. I was giving my fucking opinion on the book." I sharply interject with my eyes hardened.

"Right, you were totally only talking about the damn book and none of what you said had shit to do with Xander at all. My bad dude." The sarcasm was overflowing as it heavily oozed out of her mouth effortlessly and violently. I could only muster up the roll of my eyes. "Now if you're done shitting everyone and hiding behind Lucy and Max, what you really did is rant about how fake you think mate bonds are and how there's no way you could sincerely come to love Xander ever if not for the mate bond. Which fucking broke his heart, Jaylin!"

"Broke his heart?" I arch a brow. "Xander hardly cares! You think he actually gives a damn about the fact that we're mates? It's just the mate attraction, that's it. He would've never even looked at me that way if we weren't mated!"