Chapter Twenty-Two | Top & Bottom

                     The leaves beneath my feet crunch audibly, the wind that blows past me tickles my skin leaving goosebumps in its wake, the sound of animals cause my ears to perk up as I take in the sounds and allow my eyes to roam around the empty and bare woods that I walk through. Sliding the sleeves up on my navy blue hoodie, I stuff my hands into the pockets of my black jogger shorts and take in the earthy smell. I stop walking and crane my head back to look at the two people who I was stuck patrolling the territory with.

"Wasn't Kaylee supposed to be with us as well?" I ask the two boys who are crouched in front of a tree, guzzling down an entire thirty ounce water bottle.

Hunter stops drinking the water, water trickles down his chin as he wipes at his chin with his arm and looks up at me from where he sits. "She was but Alpha Killian set her up to patrol with Archer, Aiden, and Xavier along the west side instead."

Of course she's patrolling with Archer right now except rather than actually patrolling I have the feeling — and it's totally just a hunch — that they are doing everything but patrolling the west side of the territory. How did I know? It's Archer and Kaylee that were talking about right now for fucks sake.

They could keep their hands off each other, most of that I attribute to Archer who was like a parasite. I don't what it is with me and comparing thing to a parasite but it was the best analogy I could come up with. I didn't dislike Archer or anything, she just had a bold ass personality that was so contrasting with Kaylee's personality so sometimes I wondered how the hell the two of them even work out.

Is there relationship just built on the physical or is there something deeper between the two of them? Not like I cared all that much, I just didn't want my poor sister to be wrapped with Archer solely because of the mate bond. The two of them didn't even get along before they found out that they were mates.

The outspoken Archer used to rub Kaylee the wrong way as she'd be reckless out her mouth, saying shit that would always annoy Kaylee. Archers way of thinking didn't mirror my sisters so it really made me think that this mate bond shit is really just some kind of magic. When you think about it, that's what it feels like.

I lean my back against the tree I stand in front of and look up at the cloudy skies above me.

Would it be so far fetched to believe that mate bonds were just magical spells that the Moon Goddess casted on all us from birth? Spells that would make us suddenly attracted to the opposite sex, spells that would make us gravitate towards people we would've never even given a double look to, spells that would attach our souls to another wolf like handcuffs being bonded to an inmate who was going to face his impenetrable demise.

A demise he has no control over, cannot stop, cannot change, and cannot run away from. But isn't that what fate is? It's our fate to wound up with certain people, some we would've never expected, and develop something with them that we would've done before if not for the mate bond.

An optimist would tell me that that's a good thing. What was wrong with being mated with someone you least expect? That's the fun of being mated to someone, where the thrill and joy comes from. You wouldn't originally go for certain kinds of people, but being fated to be together with said person you originally had interest in made it ... spicy.

It makes you think outside of the box and maybe even realize that the people you used to go for are not actually meant for you at all. The Moon Goddess is doing us all a favor by playing matchmaker for us. For helping us to save time by dating around only to eventually pick the wrong person time and time again.