ꜰᴏʀᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

"Are you sure?" I think Cody asks

What is there not to be sure about? She is dead. My wife is dead. The doctor has just confirmed it.

"We're not sure how long she'll stay unconscious, but we're positive she'll wake up."

Huh?

My eyes snap to Dr. Shirman instantly, twenty million different emotions rushing through my blood faster than the speed of light. "Wake up?"

"That's what I said," he confirms. "Mrs. Storm shouldn't receive too much visitors as the chance of her catching an infection is pretty high, it should stay between a few people only and they should make sure to be one hundred percent healthy. Even the slightest bacteria could have tremendous consequences."

Dr. Shirman smiles at me, handing me an ipad with Sierra's medical records. I skim over it, only understanding every other word or even less.

"As of now, Mrs. Storm is stable. She's in a coma, but she's strong, so we're positive she'll be out of it soon. Could be a few days, or weeks. That we can't tell you."

I scroll down the endlessly long document. "Are you sure?"

Dr. Shirman chuckles, nodding—I think. I'm not exactly looking at the man.

"Dude, didn't you listen?" Cody nudges me with his elbow. "She'll live."

-♡-

Sierra is hooked up to a machine that's breathing for her and a machine that's monitoring her heartbeat. Her entire torso is wrapped in a bandage, a few spots on her arms are still covered with blood. Dried blood. Probably from when she was bleeding out.

I think I asked the nurses like ten times if I could clean that off, but each time they tell me it's too early. Too early for what? I doubt a little water on her arms will send her into some shock and kill her.

Besides, she needs to be cleaned, right? The bacteria talk, remember? She's getting changed daily, well, I change her clothes. There's no way I'll let some sleazy intern change my wife's clothes. Especially not when they're a guy.

I'm holding her hand in mine, barely registering that I'm half asleep, with my head resting on her bed.

"I don't think he's left his spot on the armchair next to Sierra's bed in a week," I hear someone say. I'm sure that's Cody talking.

He's the only other person, besides my mother and me (and Allie, obviously) who are allowed to visit Sierra. Well, Allie and I don't count, we've been here for a week now, not leaving this room even once.

Okay, another correction; Allie has been outside of this room. I swear Cody and my mother have been taking her out on walks. I barely acknowledge whenever they're here. The only times I get up from this chair are when I have to use the restroom or take care of Allie.