Chapter 1 - A fish's current

Blackness faded into dim light as she felt her head clear and come to.
She was floating on the water's surface, the little pond lapping at her arms and legs.
Was this heaven? Was this the heaven Hylia spoke of?
Her body felt numb and yet stung at the same time, aching with healing wounds. Her eyes closed again.
"Mipha?"
A voice called her name - a familiar voice. She turned her head.
"Mipha!" It grew closer, "Mipha! You're awake!"
Her body shivered and she built up the energy to move, leaning against the edge of the water. As her eyes opened once more, the shape of her younger brother came into view.
Sidon - with a wide grin on his face and tears in his eyes - stood over her.
"Mipha!"
Her throat felt dry and yet she spoke out softly to her brother, "Sidon?"
"You're okay! Father and I were so scared!"
Tightly embracing her, he cried quietly.
"Sidon, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"
"You were hurt! Really hurt! You had a huge cut on your leg and you weren't talking... it was so scary."
Wiping his tears with her thumb, she held his face in her hands, "Oh, Sidon. It's alright, I'm here now."
He smiled, his sharp teeth glinting in the short amount of light.
Mipha heaved herself forwards and over the edge of the pool - letting out a quiet yelp as she hit her thigh.
"Father said you would take a while to wake up - but you're here! You're awake!"
She chuckled at his excitement.
"Come on, let's go see father!" He took her hand, "He'll be so happy."
As she went to walk, she stumbled and cried out in pain. Sidon gasped and went to catch her.
"Agh... thank you, I'm okay."
The Zora Prince handed her the Lightscale Trident, "Here, you can lean against your weapon."
Gratefully, she took it and limped alongside her brother, feeling happy as ever to be reunited with her family. She'd thought she was going to die.
"Father!"
"Sidon? It's late - what are you doing up?"
As Mipha walked over to him, he stopped.
"Mipha, my daughter! Are you okay? You seem injured - do you need to rest?"
Sighing, she shooed off her father's overbearing manner.
"I know you're concerned - but I am fine."

Sidon left the room, going to train to be efficient with a spear.
"I need to be good if I'm going to fight that big scary lynel!" He exclaimed as he left.
The two left waited a moment, the silence felt heavy.
"So," Her father started, "What happened in Vah Ruta?"
Mipha shook her head, her memory had only partly returned.
"You don't know?"
"No. I just remember the feeling of fear, I thought I would meet my end in there."
His voice turned grim, "Some Zora soldiers found your body on the docks, you were heavily injured."
Silently, she nodded. She could feel that she'd been injured. It was obvious.
"Anyways, you must be tired. Go rest."
Mipha nodded and gave her father a thankful hug before leaving.

"Mipha, Mipha!"
Sidon's excited call drew her to him, where he'd been practicing climbing waterfalls.
"What is it?" She gently asked.
"Look at this, I've been practicing."
It had been almost 3 weeks after the attack of Waterblight, and Mipha's wounds had almost healed fully.
The deep gash on her thigh had turned to a mighty scar, one that tormented her. It was a reminder of her failure to protect her friends and home.
Sidon leapt into the lake, swimming over to the roaring water swiftly. He swam straight up the waterfall's surface and a few times escaped through the water, like a leaping staminoka bass until he reached the top. Jumping into the air, he flipped over and clumsily landed on his feet, wobbling a little.
"Well done!" She praised loudly, "That was excellent."
Smiling brightly, Sidon giggled at his sister.
He yelled down at her, "C'mon! Come join me."
Letting out a soft chuckle, she nodded. She hadn't climbed a waterfall much after her injury, but she was determined to move past it. Besides, she'd healed most of her cuts and bruises.
She dived in and followed the same steps as her little brother, weaving in and out of the waterfall's edge. As she neared the top, she flipped over and landed cleanly on her feet, tidily compared to Sidon's attempt.
"Wow, you're so good at this."
He pouted jokingly, sticking out his lower lip.
"Ha ha, I've just had a lot of practice."
As they talked, Mipha thought about the events of Calamity Ganon.
Are the other kingdoms okay? Had Daruk, Urbosa, Revali, Link and Zelda survived? What would happen to Vah Ruta?
Her mind buzzed with these questions. Eventually, they got the better of her and she decided she'd venture to Goron city to check if they were okay.
"I'll return within a month. Sidon, please keep practicing your skills."
King Dorephan nodded his head and replied, "Very well, we wish you good travels."
Sidon's signature smile made warmth fill her body, her family meant the world to her.

As she began her journey to the maw of Death Mountain, she felt her head ache profusely.
The world around her spun quickly, making her feel sickly.
Lightheadedness replaced her clear head and she struggled to move onwards.
"Mipha... Mipha!"
Her name was called by an all-too familiar voice, yet it still took her a few moments to recognise it. Once she had, she heard the voice usher her away from Death Mountain, its soft tone similar to her own voice, yet sweet like a bird's song.
"Mipha! Please, come. Please, Mipha!"
It begged her to help, begged her to follow its plea. Her heart ached at the sound of its desperation, for a reason that was not known, and so she followed it, down the path towards Kakariko village, down the path by the Duelling Peaks stable. Further and further she followed the voice, to almost no end.
"Mipha, please..."
She could hear it clearly! Mipha could hear it outside of her head, it was no longer fuzzy and far-away.
Calling their name, she eventually stumbled across the blonde hylian who had been calling her name, beckoning her to find them.
The voice had belonged to the person who'd bestowed Vah Ruta upon her in the first place.
"Zelda?"