Chapter 2 - A bird's flight

"Revali..."
His name was being called. He could hear it, it was so close.
"Revali!"
It was a recognisable voice. He suddenly felt like he'd been plunged into cold depths, like the lake beneath Rito Village.
Light enveloped his sight - bright, harsh light.
"Revali, my boy!"
The voice was clear now.
His eyes shot open as he spluttered and coughed. His joints ached and he felt the sting of a wound at his side. What had happened?
Looking around his surroundings to see what had called out to him, he noticed the Elder, Kaneli. The man was less of an 'elder' than the title would suggest.
This was the rito that had practically raised Revali, encouraging the young warrior to unlock his true potential with a bow and arrow, therefore he helped him with training in aerial combat.
This was a face Revali was pleased to see. Right after what he had thought would be his death, he would have wanted more than anything to see his loved ones again.
As he spoke, his throat felt dry, "What happened?"
"There's no need to confuse you anymore right now, you must rest your limbs! They must be tired and painful."
Kaneli always knew what Revali felt. He had taken him under his wing and grew to know him like the mountains that rose around their beloved home.
The Elder passed him a bowl of soup, which was still steaming yet cool enough to eat.
It had been made out of endura carrots, hyrule basses and endura shrooms. He knew this because, as he took a sip from the bowl, he could taste the elegant and delicious pairing of the salty bass and the earthy veg.
It filled his stomach, washed down with a courser-bee honey and hyrule herb tea. The tea was sweet and soothed his throat.
After a few hours of resting his weary body, he asked Kaneli again.
"So... what happened?"
Sighing but softly chuckling, Kaneli answered his long-awaited question, "Calm your impatience, Revali. We found you, after the calamity had passed, wounded and floated on a piece of driftwood down in the lake. Your body was freezing and your feathers were matted with blood."
Revali shivered at the thought. He was glad that he wasn't conscious at the time.
"We have no idea what happened other than Vah Medoh began to screech. The divine beast's blue lights had turned pink, and it circled around the village and shot at anyone who flew too high."
"Great Hylia..."
"Then you fell into a deep sleep for around 4 days and woke up afterwards. We kept you clean, warm and fed."
He gratefully clicked his beak, thanking the person he'd trusted all his life.
"Do you remember anything of what happened on Vah Medoh?" Kaneli leaned in closer, his eyes wide with curiosity.
Halting a moment before responding, Revali thought about it and memories flushed back to him.
"Yes. I remember the horrid beast that had grown out of the terminal when I tried to control the divine beast. I remember... it attacked me. It threw tornadoes at me and shot at me. All I remember last was it held its weapon to my head and I thought of..."
He let his voice trail off quickly, his eyes widening as he recalled what he thought of.
"I see," the Elder's sudden voice made him jump slightly, "That must've been terrifying. I can't imagine how it was."
His mind tortured him with harsh judgement of his dying thoughts.
Why him? He probably despised Revali, he had good reason to.
"Yes, it was."

The rito warrior felt his feathers ruffle as a breeze came past, reminding him once more of his confinement to the village. He'd tried many times to convince Kaneli to let him leave, search out for his friends or simply explore the ruins of Hyrule, to no avail.
His wings had recovered after the shock of his near-death and he was working on his archery again. Muscle memory allowed him to be able to handle the bow and arrow well, but his aiming had been affected. This frustrated him to no end.
Once more, Revali had spent the morning stretching and training his aim. Yet something felt different - off, misplaced. He couldn't name it.
Something or someone very important was missing.
Travelling to Kaneli's home, his talons clacked against the wooden planks of the village. He passed many of his neighbours and as he grew closer to the Elder's house, a buzzing in his head grew with it. Struggling to focus on the present situation, he found himself forced to remember the fight against Windblight.
He had flown up into the air, swooping down and dodging with such precision it would've been praised heartily if his village had seen. Then he struck the beast with a bomb arrow - right in its eye. Circling it, he drew closer to it and oversaw the entirety of Hyrule, for Vah Medoh had risen up so high that no other rito could help him.
A gap in his flashback made him retrace his footsteps. What happened?
Next, all he saw was getting hit down by its arm. But he'd been in a completely different place!
Confusedly, he regathered his thoughts and processed them further, pushing himself to... just remember.

"I'm travelling out into Hyrule!" Revali's blue feathers were puffed out with determination - or fear.
"What? Revali - you can't just..."
He interrupted, "No! I'm going. That is final. I'll be fine, my aim is getting better by the hour and I have my spear - just in case anything else goes wrong."
Kaneli sighed, leaning back in his rocking chair.
"Fine, but if you get injured at all, you'll be stuck here for longer to heal."
Revali nodded; it was a good compromise.
"Stay safe on your travels, Revali," the rito waved after him, before adding to himself, "I wonder what made him decide so suddenly?"

Revali packed his things hurriedly, throwing clothes from his basket into his bag and packing plenty of food.
His plan was to go straight to Hyrule castle, as it was the closest to Rito Village.
He headed straight to the landing afterwards, his bags on his back, and took off. As he twisted his head to look behind him, he noticed nobody had even cared that he was leaving.
Scoffing, he focused on the wind and his journey.