Chapter 13 - Used to it

The sky grew dark swiftly. Its ignorant, warm sun was replaced by the cold rays of the moon. Often the night came as comfort to Revali, but tonight it felt foreboding and secretive.
He couldn't find sleep, no matter how much he rested his eyes or tossed around, though Link slept heavily beside him, his blonde hair bleached in the moonlight. He could almost feel his old wounds in the battle as it lurked in his mind.
Feeling restless, the rito stood on his talons and quickly wrapped himself up in a scarf. It was green, like Link had said complimented his eyes. His gaze lingering behind on Link's sleeping body once more, he dived off of the balcony into the cool night. The translucent clouds rolled lazily overhead, like a mesmerising ocean of the sky. He'd never liked the sea, but the smell of rock salt and lemonsprig brought him joy.
Revali kept gliding, letting the wind push him from behind. He needed something to free him of the thoughts. Despite his groggy mind, he managed to identify the spring he and Link loved dearly and cleanly landed on the softened earth. The constant spray of water was a shock to him, but he still sat and enjoyed the quietness. It was peaceful for a moment.
Left with his thoughts, he couldn't help but remember the pain he'd endured, the injuries and the overwhelming feeling of guilt and worthlessness. How useful was he, if he couldn't even defeat the one thing he'd trained for?
As a distraction, Revali decided to swim in the pool of water that lay at the bottom of the waterfall. He undressed and slipped in, taking a moment to catch his breath after the chill. It was tranquil, and he wondered why everything went silent.
Until he heard the footsteps behind him. He immediately snapped around and readied his bow, which he had brought with him, yet lowered it as he recognised the figure of Mipha.
"Good evening, Revali," she quickly explained as she saw the hostility in his eyes, "I couldn't sleep so I just felt something dragging me out here, I wasn't following you."
He nodded and placed his bow down gently at the side of the pool. The water seemed to glow as the stars speckled over it.
"I can sense something's on your mind."
"I'm fine, I was just feeling restless. I must say, hylian beds are not nearly as comfortable as my hammocks," it was obvious he lied, yet he wouldn't admit to it so easily.
"I have to agree. I want to live with Zelda and support her, but I just find it so difficult to get used to. We Zora sleep in the water usually."
Maybe Mipha's arrival was fate, it would help him get his mind off of things.
"Yes. I don't understand how they can sleep in something so solid."
She snickered, "You know how Hylians are, they love their solid ground."
"Definitely, one time I brought Link flying with me and he could hardly shoot an arrow from the air. Maybe they're used to riding on horses, oh and I think my wing may have been prodding him in the side," he and Mipha laughed.
They fell quiet for a few seconds, before looking back to each other, the tone changing to a more serious note.
"Revali..." Mipha started, her voice gentle and calm, "you know you can talk to me about anything, right?"
Revali's defensive walls were built up again just as quickly as before, and he cautiously responded, "Well, yes... why?"
Sighing, Mipha inched closer and rested her hand on his wing, "Listen to me, you don't have to pretend. It's just me here, we're alone. Tell me about your concerns. please?"
On the surface, Revali was just barely keeping his mask of confidence up, but in his mind he panicked, how did she know?
As she smiled once more, trying further and further to let him say something, he shook his head. The sky above them was a black void.
"While I... appreciate your support, you should know that I am completely fine right now. I think we're all just a little bit stressed out, and I also think it's time for me to return to my bed. This chill is making my feathers shrink," he rambled franticly, climbing out of the pool and shaking off.
Mipha just stood up, frowning at Revali's obvious attempt to shut his friends out, but staying silent.
After shoving his cloak on, the azure rito crouched down, preparing to glide off from the now-awkward heavy atmosphere. He glanced over his shoulder at the zora princess, before taking off and leaving her to stand alone.

A/N: I know it's been... a while, a lot of stuff has happened between then and now. But hi, welcome back. I'm so sorry to have not updated this much, but I recently re-read it and I remember how fun it was to write! So please tell me if you guys actually like this and want me to continue it, or if I should just stop it here. Btw, if I do continue it, the chapters will probably be released inconsistently so I apologise in advance for that.
Yours sincerely,
-A