Chapter 11 - you make me vulnerable

Yawning in the early hours of the morning, so early it was still dark, Link climbed out of the bed and got dressed.
Although it was Winter, he knew it must be early because Revali hadn't waken yet. Or at least gotten out of bed.
"Where are you going?"
"I don't know."
"Can I come with you?"
It took a moment before response, "if you want to."
He heard shuffling as his rito slowly slid to the side of the bed and stood up, his talons gently hitting the floorboards.
He got dressed in a warm outfit - for it was freezing out - and they moved out of the room. No sun shone yet, as the moon was still quite high in the sky, sending a single beam down through the large window at the end of the hall.
The two crept outside, careful not to wake those inside rooms.
The cool air struck him like a bat and he shivered at the frosty dew that decorated the long grass. Usually the grass would be kept clean, but the castle had been rather understaffed since the calamity. Understandably, of course.
"What do you want to do?" Revali chirped, "It's too early for stables and shops to be open."
Link hummed thoughtfully and nodded. After a moment's silence, he shrugged.
"You want us to just stay here and talk?"
"Why don't we go to the spring?" His voice was still a bit croaky, but he was getting the hang of it after practice.
It still made Revali smile every time he heard it, "I mean... sure."
They trudged through the dew-ridden grass, the stalks whipping their legs.
The sun was still asleep, nestled among the cosy base of the hills while the moon illuminated Revali's features, his sage eyes glowing in the darkened morning. Winter tainted the skies with its cold, so they huddled together. Link couldn't help but throw glances at the rito's direction, his feathers looked sightly under moonlight.
Eventually, they came to the same waterfall they'd found and stepped down its slope. Link held out a hand for Revali as he struggled, with his talons.
"I suppose you can help me down. I just can't get the hang of it is all."
Letting out a chuckle, Link rolled his eyes. The familiar log sat there, by the freezing waters. An indent in the wood proved long use of it.
Link sat down, shuddering as a spray of chilling water bathed his body. It was exhilarating.
They spoke for a while, providing small-talk for each other and entertaining themselves at a boring time.
Revali leaned against the bench, bunching his legs against his torso. His eyes were distant, as if lost in thought. Link watched him with curiosity, before touching his arm gently.
Defensively, his rito jumped and almost smacked his arm away.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing," he said sternly.
"Are you sure? You don't seem to be very happy right now."
Letting out a groan, Revali sank onto the log, letting it support his weight.
"I'm just thinking about home. I..." he paused, and glanced at Link, "Do you promise not to tell anyone?"
"What?"
"If I tell you, you can't tell any of the others."
The hylian saw the look in Revali's eyes, almost fearful, "Oh, I promise."
"I get awfully homesick, even if it's not for long. I can hardly stand being away from my cabin."
"Why's this so bad? Everybody gets homesick, Revali."
"I'm supposed to be strong! I can't be so susceptible to weakening emotions if I'm the rito champion," he snapped, "Besides, nobody would like me if I showed them my emotions. I'm too angry and then upset, it's too confusing. Usually they just leave me like all the rest."
A moment's silence drew out, but felt like an eternity. He could hardly bear to look at Link.
He moved forwards and wrapped his arms around Revali, who hesitated but eventually gave in. Eyes filling with tears, he bowed his head and leaned into the hug.
"I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to deal with me," he sobbed, "It's dumb. I know."
"Don't be sorry."
"...Please don't leave me."
"I won't."
It was heartbreaking to hear his saddened voice, so he pulled him tightly against his chest. It had happened so quickly, as if he'd been bottling this for a while.
"I promise I won't."

"Good morning, Zelda," Mipha sweetly smiled at her, "I hope you had a good night's sleep."
"I did, for most of the night."
"Most?"
"Well yes, I heard people sneaking around at Hylia knows what hour."
Mipha chuckled, "I think I heard that too, though I was too tired to care."
They were walking down one of the long corridors to the great hall, to join the other champions for breakfast. Cool, soft light flowed through the windows like a rushing brook, and bathed the princesses' skin with it.
Winter had brought unbearable cold, so they wore warmer clothing. Zelda had on a soft, sheepswool jumper with the signature triangles and royal patterns while Mipha wore a black tunic made from insulating silk.
"I doubt it was Urbosa or Daruk, they're far too sensible to sneak off at an hour like that."
"And from the look of Revali and Link, who just arrived in the front door, I think it's safe to say we know."
They both laughed quietly but found themselves slowing down to see what the two had been doing.
Zelda's ear twitched and she grabbed Mipha and hid behind a pillar.
"Princess! We can't eavesdrop, that's incredibly..." she whispered frantically.
"Hey, you want to find out, don't you?"
She got no response, just a childish glare as Mipha began watching over her shoulder.
Revali was silent for once, but the feathers around his eyes looked sullen in some way, shrunk down as if he were ashamed. His eyes looked down at the floor as Link pulled a twig out of his hair.
"You won't tell anyone what happened, will you?"
"No, of course not."
Mipha let out a gasp, to which she received a sharp but quiet shushing from Zelda.
"Did he talk? He never talks to anyone."
Revali ducked down at Link's request, now being at eye level with the hylian. Reaching for him, Link gently grabbed his head and leaned his forehead against it.
"Hey, c'mon. It's alright. Let's get back to our room, it'll be warmer."
Zelda could hardly believe her eyes. Was she sure this wasn't a fantasy?
"Pinch me," Mipha gaped, "If you told me, before the calamity, that Revali and Link would be... I wouldn't have believed you."
They waited until the two had wandered into their room before moving out from behind the pillar.
"Great Hylia, what is happening?"
"I think we should hurry off to breakfast now."
"Agreed."

A/N: I don't usually do Author's notes in chapters, but I decided to come back to this to just see how people liked it and thank you all so much for reading and voting the chapters! I hope you can see my writing style develop as I find my new favourite author and practice writing/reading more often. I think I'm going to try to continue this, but I do apologise if I stop. It won't have a regular schedule, as I think my mental health has started affecting my physical health and I'm now anxious 24/7. I should be better soon, but thank you for your patience and support. <3