Maybe This Year

BEEP BEEP

Karly groaned as she heard her alarm clock, awakening her for the school day. "Jake was just about to kiss me!" She grumbled about her dream on her school crush. Her and Jake have been going to school together for six years now, ever since grade three, and they still have never talked. 

While Karly sat back and did her homework, Jake started making millions of friends; everyone loved him. So as Jake took off and became, and stayed, the most popular boy in school, Karly remained the loser that everybody knew about, but nobody liked.

She didn't know why nobody liked her, only that they didn't and that they loved to make that obvious. 

Karly rolled out of bed and through on an Ed Sheeran sweater from his last tour, a pair of blue skinny jeans, and her old pair of converse. She left her hair in her natural glory, knowing it's going to be messed up anyways, and put on some light mascara. After she was somewhat accepting of her appearance she grabbed her backpack and walked out the door towards the kitchen. 

Karly was never really accepting of her appearance and how she looked, the kids at school made sure of that. Even though she pretended that the mean and hurtful comments didn't effect her, they hurt her in every which possible way. 

"Hey hun, are you ready for your first day of highschool?" Her mother called as she walked down the stairs and entered the kitchen. Karly just hummed in response, grabbing two pieces of toast and walking towards the kitchen table. She grabbed a glass of orange juice and quickly downed the awaiting pills for her ADHD and depression, hoping to get the gross after taste out of her moth as quickly as possible. 

"A sweater? Karly it's your first day of grade nine, you don't want to wear anything else?" Her mother asked worried. Her mom knew about not having many friends (or none at all), which she figured out since the last person that came over was her ex-bestfriend Maddie, which was 10 years ago. What her mom didn't know was that she was bullied. To Karly it wasn't super bad, but to any bystanders, the constant getting pushed into lockers, name calling, and occasional beat-up, was brutal. It was so bad that the people who were doing it even felt like helping her. 

"It's fine mom, don't worry." Karly mumbled, slowly chewing on her piece of toast. Karly didn't think she was fat, even though apparently everybody at school did, she just didn't have any muscle. She was never into sports so she never developed the rock solid body everybody was after, she achieved a nice lean body, but with no muscle. 

"Ok well remember that you're walking home today, since your father or I can't pick you up." Her mom said wiping down the counters. She rinsed the cloth in the sink, walked over to her daughter and wished her luck at school, before turning around and leaving for her busy day ahead at her job. 

Karly wasn't another one of the cliché shy but extremely rich people, but she wasn't poor either. Her father's income of his job as a construction worker, and her mother's as an English professor at the local University, was more than enough to meet all of their needs of their three person family. They had a slightly above average house with a pool, two cars so both her parents could drive around, and took the occasional vacation to Florida, and still had money left over. 

In other words, the only thing that was stopping Karly from loving her life was the very much needed bestfriend. Maybe this year will be my year.