6

After leaving Remus Edan met up with Fred and George. "We have the most incredible prank prepared. Poor Lupey with never set it coming."

"I'll reckon he'll quit, do you suppose George?" Fred asked with a hopeful grin on his face. 

"Er- no." Edan said suddenly without thinking.

The Twins looked at her strangely. She groaned, now look what she'd done. They were exchanging looks then they grinned at her. "Is there something you aren't tell us, Edan? George asked. Edan chose to ignore him and continued on her merry way.

" I think she is hiding something Georgy."

"I agree. Do you suppose it has something to do with professor Lupin?" George returned.

"Definitely, shall we sing again?"

"Oh merlin, no." Edan snapped at them before grabbing the pair and pulling them into an empty corridor. Then she revealed to them everything about the night before. The boys had sober faces, the entire time. "You can't prank him anymore."

"Tell you what, Edan." George began. 

"We'll keep your secret." 

"But we get to prank him still. It will looked suspicious if we don't my dear Edan." George finished. 

Edan waved them off. They had a point, Edan supposed they could prank him. After giving them permission to do so, she left without telling them where she was off to. She began wandering the castle aimlessly as she often did. It helped her clear her head long enough to think of her mum and dad. It was difficult to think about their deaths considering she had been right there to witness it. She could picture it in her head, it ran on a constant loop if she didn't actively try to block it out. Unfortunately, it always reappeared when she tried to think about the happy times they had together. 

Still, she had to think of them sometimes otherwise she felt as though she would forget them completely. They meant too much too her, she continuously wished they were still around. Especially given her current dilemma. Edan couldn't completely convery what was going on with Remus but she was sure she'd have no issues coming up with a story of some kid. Mum, would give me wonderful advice Edan she reckoned. Dad would probably freak over the idea of their being a boy in her life. She'd take that any day over the fact that he wasn't around any longer.

By the time Edan came back to reality she had no idea where she was but she continued, watching closely for any familiarity that would tell her where she was. Edan came to the conclusion that she was somewhere in the Dungeons. An area she had never explored other then going down to the Potions classroom. She heard a familiar voice in the distance and hoped whoever it belonged to would be able to point her in the right direction. 

She then heard the argument between Remus and Professor Snape. "Please, be reasonable Severus. Me? Involved with with a student? That's absurd, especially one with a history like Edan Wilkies. I'm sure you know of it.

Edan's brow furrowed. What could possibly be so terrible about her family?

"I am well aware of the Wilkies curse."

"Precisely. Therefore, I would never be involved with a member of the Wilkies family, much less one that was my student who is barely of age." Remus said with a determined tone.

"Take your potion and go." Snape replied realizing he'd lost this argument. What was Edan's family curse? It did occur to her that Remus was merely trying to convince Snape that there was no relationship between us. However, she was still hurt that Remus had never talked to her about the supposed curse that inflicted her family. 

A hand gently grabbed her wrist. It was Remus, of course. "Hello." He said with a smile standing particularly close to me. She glared at him slightly which made him frown. "What's wrong?"

"Why have you never mentioned anything about my families curse? You didn't think I deserved that kind of information?" Edan said angrily then turned on her heel and walked away, Remus did not follow. 

The next morning Edan seriously consider skipping her Defense Against the Dark Arts class but the boys managed to convince her. Apparently they'd cooked up an excellent prank for Remus. She hadn't told them about the events the night prior because she wanted to put it out of her mind. Which was proving difficult to do of course. What could possibly be the Wilkies curse? Did that mean Edan was cursed, what kind of curse was it? When she entered the class she noticed Professor Snape was at the head of the class, not Remus. "No." Edan moaned shaking my head. She turned to the boys. "Let's skip."

"Take your seats." Said that familiar cold voice behind Edan who turned to see Snape standing directly behind her. He was staring at the three of them with hostility in his eyes. Edan held her books close to her chest as she took a seat beside Fred, George sat in front of them. Across the room she noticed Adam, it completely slipped her mind that they had lessons with the Hufflepuffs today. Edan had been avoiding Adam since the night at the Black Lake. He'd been looking pretty hard for her too. Across the room he winked in her direction, she looked down at her book and let her hair fall around her face. It was going to be a long day.

She suddenly felt unbelievably overwhelmed, almost angry at the way her life was at the current moment. Maybe because her parents were dead, or because Adam wouldn't stop staring, or the fact she had some kind of curse, Remus wasn't here for her to ignore. She had no idea why but she was extremely angry. Edan had the urge to break something, or hurt someone. Snape was still teaching but I grabbed my bag and left. She made her way back to the Gryffindor tower, up to the bathroom. Edan stared at herself in the mirror, her usual blue eyes were nearly black in color. She glared at her reflection then there was a knock on the door. 

"Edan?" Called Hermione. "Is everything alright."

"Go away." Edan growled in a voice that sounded raspier than her own. 

Hermione continued to pester her through the door. "I said go away!" Edan yelled facing her reflection once again. She suddenly brought her fist back and smashed it against the mirror, hard enough to shatter it. Edan yelped in surprise as the shards of glass penetrated her skin, she fell into the remaining shards on the glass. Hermione barged through the door finally and gasped at the sight. She waded through the glass and helped Edan to her feet. As Hermione led her out of the bathroom, Edan glanced in the mirror, her eyes were blue once again.

In the hospital wing Madam Pomfrey fixed her up then demanded to know what happened, which Edan refused to divulge. This resulted in a visit with the Headmaster. She found herself sitting in his office. Madam Pomfrey attempted to make the scars that were evident on Edan's hand as well as a few minor cuts on her face vanish but she was unable to. The only reason that would make it impossible to heal a scars was if it came from a curse, dark magic. Edan was quite downhearted that she'd have these marks on her forever, a constant reminder. 

"Edan?" Dumbledore finally spoke as he entered the room at last. 

"Professor." She replied respectfully. Dumbledore launched into a long monologue which Edan was only partially listening to. She looked around and her eyes fell upon Hermione who wore an extremely worried expression on her face. Edan looked at her feet feeling quite confused and frustrated. 

"Poppy, Ms. Granger. You may leave now." All was quiet as they departed. "I suppose you're curious as to what as happened to you." Edan nodded ever so slightly. "I'm willing to bet you have yet to be informed of the Wilkies family curse. You see Edan, your mother's side of the family has been inflicted with this for a long time. It usually begin to take its toll in the early teen years. Any kind of negative emotion that overwhelms you will cause you to lose all control of yourself." Dumbledore paused to allow Edan to speak but she remained silent, waiting for him to continue. 

"It will increase gradually. There are signs of it. Your eyes will turn black, your voice becomes hoarse and you forget who you truly until the episode ends." This happened to her mum as well. "After awhile you may be able to sense when this is happening, I assume you had your first episode in your lesson this morning. It's remarkable really that you were able to sense you needed to step away." 

Edan's mind was reeling as she silently stared at the Headmaster. She was at a loss for words.