10

Edan walked through the Castle trying to get a fix on who else had decided to stay behind. She could resort to hanging out with them if need be. At the moment she fancied a bit of alone time. As she continued on her walk it occurred to her she had no idea where to send Remus' owls to, he handed let her know where he'd be staying. Edan brushed it off figuring he'd write to her first like he said. 

Edan was so caught up in her thoughts about Remus that she did not noticed someone had rounded the corner. Not until she slammed into them and fell to the floor. "I apologize, I wasn't paying attention." She admitted as she looked up.

"That much is obvious." Professor Snape said in his signature monotone. "I am shocked to see you. I was under the impression you'd be returning home for the Holiday."

Edan rose to her feet and brush herself off. "No sir. I made the decision to remain here awhile ago."

"I assume your Weasley friends have gone, correct?" He asked which Edan simply nodded to. "Given your condition I would imagine it isn't smart for you to spend too much time alone with your own thoughts. You're welcome to help me prepare for the start of term. You aren't as inept as your fellow classmates in Potions."

Edan was a bit thrown off by his offer but quickly accepted. "Thanks Professor, I appreciate your offer."

The next couple of days Edan spent most of her time in the Potions class or up in Gryffindor Tower. She did have quite a bit of school work to catch up on after all. Her initial expectation was that it would be a lot of work but mostly she sat around while he prepared lessons. Occasionally he would ask her to prepare potions ingredients or organize his private stores.  He wasn't bad company while alone with him. 

"Ms Wilkies, would you like to assist me in making a Wolfsbane Potion?" He asked her while she was sitting at a desk working on a charms paper. She was quite shocked that he'd asked her assistance with a rather advanced potion. Edan set up the cauldron and helped to gather the ingredients. 

Half way through the brewing of the potion Professor Snape asked a question. "Have you had any trouble with your curse recently?" He was supervising Edan stirring the steaming cauldron. 

Edan shook her head. "I've been trying rather hard to contain my anger. I certainly don't want another incident like we had in The Great Hall." She said coming to a stop with the stirring. "Besides I'd like to avoid anymore unnecessary scarring." She held up her scarred hand and used it to gesture to her face. 

Severus examined them carefully. "Madam Pomfrey is unable to heal them?"

Edan shook her head. "Apparently she is unable to because they are caused by dark, cursed magic." She shrugged it off. "At least it reminds me why I am a danger to those who care about me; why it would be best for me to distance myself. You saw what I did to George and Fred, it's likely to happen again. Once I graduate I receive my inheritance and be able to move away."

Edan regretted opening up so much to Snape, she felt extremely vulnerable and exposed. Snape thankfully remained quiet as he finished up the Wolfsbane. She retreated back to her table to to continue working on her assignment. "Why didn't you return to with The Weasley's for the Holiday?" Snape asked pouring the potion into a large goblet. 

"I thought it would be nice to spend the Holiday with Remus but he didn't think it was wise. That's the argument you witnessed, I stopped being so silly when he told me he wouldn't even be here himself. By then it was too late to change my mind." Edan responded. 

"Remus is away for the Holiday." Snape stated simply. Something in his tone intrigued Edan but she didn't ask any questions. 

She simply nodded in return. "I think he believed I'd be going after all, I'll have to write to the twins to forward me his letters."