16

Edan's feet found solid ground pretty quickly. Remus steadied her as she stumbled slightly. "Are we really going to talk to them now?" Edan asked feeling incredibly anxious. 

"It's better to do it now. The sooner we do the sooner we can determine the future of our relationship." Remus responded pulling her towards the open door way. 

All throughout dinner Edan couldn't shake the anxious feeling building up inside. What if Molly and Arthur forbid her relationship? What if they wanted to kick her out now that her curse was taking affect? What if she had an episode over the summer? She was bouncing her leg nervously under the kitchen table while pushing the food on her plate around to make it appear as though she was eating. Edan clenched her fist below the table, digging her nails into her palm. It calmed her as she expected it to at least enough to make it through the family meal.

"Edan, hurry up!" Ginny shouted from the stairs above. She was eager for Edan to unpack her trunk so they could organize the small room they shared. 

"I'll be up in a bit Gin!" Edan shouted back. 

Remus was in the living room sitting down with Arthur and Molly when Edan crept into the room. "Oh perfect, Edan! We need a word with you." Molly said motioning for Edan to sit beside her. The anxious feeling returned and her chest felt heavy. It was the moment of truth. "Now dear, is there anything we can do to prevent an episode? Is there anything we can do to help during one?" She asked with a smile. 

Edan was shocked. This really wasn't the reaction she'd expected from them regarding her curse. "Oh.. uh - I haven't really thought about it to be perfectly honest. I wasn't sure you'd want me around knowing what a danger I am." Edan responded honestly. 

Arthur scoffed at that. "You being inflicted with this curse is no different then if Ginny or George or Percy were. After all this time do you not see you have become our second daughter?" 

"We love you as if you were our own Edan. That's not to say we would ever replace your parents but we are your family." Molly added on. 

This brought a smile to Edan's face and warmed her heart. "Let me put some thought into and let you know." She responded resting her head on Molly's shoulder. 

"Remus, you had something you wanted to discuss didn't you?" Arthur said turning to him. "Edan, why don't you go help Ginny in your room."

She glanced nervously at Remus. He hesitated for a moment seeming to be questioning his decision to come clean. "Actually, this concerns Edan as well." Molly looked at Edan quizzingly. 

"Is everything alright? Was there another incident we have yet to be informed of?" Molly questioned. 

"Of sorts." Edan replied looking at Remus. She decided that since this was her family it was best for her to take the lead. "Everything is perfectly alright, more than alright in fact." She hesitated once again but forced herself to take a deep breath. She sat up straighter and looked Remus directly in the eye. "Remus and I are a couple." 

Silence filled the room for longer than Edan found comfortable. She didn't know what else to say without any type of reaction of theirs to go off of. "We should have told you sooner." Remus spoke up sitting forward to rest his elbows on his thighs. All heads turned to him. "It crossed my mind multiple times to do so but I made excuses every time. Edan and I have talked about this a few times. I hope it's obvious when I say we would not continue if you are against it." 

"You are 14 years her senior Remus." Molly said curtly. 

Edan nodded her head in acknowledgment. "We recognize that. I am of legal age though, so on that technicality, we're fine." 

"This is something we'll need to mull over for awhile." Arthur said looking at Molly for confirmation. "For the time being it would be best for you to leave Remus." 

Remus face fell but he nodded rising to his feet. "That's perfectly understandable." 

"Would it be alright if we wrote to each other?" Asked as she walked Remus to the door. Molly paused for a moment before grabbed Arthur by the arm, pulling him back towards the living room. "I can't tell if that's a good sign or not."

"Neither can I." Remus replied glancing towards the living room. They could hear hushed whispers emerging. Edan tore her gaze away from the voices and looked up at Remus sadly. She reached out to touch his cheek but he pulled away from her. "Probably not the best idea Edy. We already agreed we would be respectful of their decision on this. At least while you're still a student at Hogwarts." With a sigh Edan dropped her hand. 

"You're right. I'm sorry, it was habit." She said feeling foolish. "Where will you be staying?" 

"I'll be returning to my cottage in Yorkshire. It's a pretty easy trek for an owl." Remus replied. 

That's if Molly and Arthur allowed the pair to write to each other in the interim of deciding their fate. "Alright, well.. Molly's come to a decision." Arthur huffed marching past the couple. He ascended the stairs without another word. Edan's heart fell. She'd counted on Arthur being the more open minded one. If Molly was the one with the final word she couldn't believe it was in their favor. 

Molly placed her hands on her hips and gave Remus her sternest stare down. "Alright, let's set some ground rules here. Despite being of age Edan you are still required to stay her, there will be no sleepovers with Remus. You're free to visit him at his home but you'll have a curfew." A large smile spread across Edan's face. "Remus, you're always welcome here, however Arthur isn't particularly thrilled about your entanglement, I'd keep your visits here short. It's your decision but I do think it would be wise to keep your relationship private until Edan graduates."

Edan launched herself into Molly's arms. "Thank you Molly." She said excitedly. Remus gave her a side hug as well before Molly disappeared up the stairs herself. 

"Once Arthur went upstairs I thought for sure we were done for." Remus said causing Edan to laugh rather loudly. Remus shushed her but was chuckling slightly himself. She stood on her tip toes and kissed Remus happily. 

For the first time in the last year Edan felt a completely satisfied.