12

Edan wasn't able to spend much time with Remus over the next two days. She was busy studying for her O.W.L.S which were coming up in the next week. She wasn't the slightest bit concerned about her Potions or Transfiguration exams, those were her most promising subjects. 

After dinner on Friday night she slipped out early without eating or notice, thankfully. As she walked through the corridors she heard a quiet conversation but it was clear that there was hostility there. "Severus, you gave me many lectures about my spending time with a student. Yet, now you are doing just that."

Snape responded in his infamous monotone drawl. "The circumstances are far different Lupin. You were seeking a romantic relationship with Ms. Wilkies while I am mentoring her." Edan desperately wanted to peak around the corner at them but feared she would be discovered. 

 "I'm to believe that's your only intention? There has been talk amongst the other Professors who claim you've never once mentored a student. It just so happens to one you finally decide to do so is my girlfriend." 

Snape chuckled darkly in response. "Do I detect a bit of jealousy from you Lupin? Ms. Wilkies is extraordinarily talented in the art of making potions. She is also the only student I've had in a long while that expressed any interest in further education." Edan was happy at the praise Professor Snape was unknowingly giving her. 

"I am doubtful of that. It's hard to believe she is so talented you'd spend extra time with her. It's also quite the coincidence it happened while I was teaching here. " Remus grumbled in response.

This irritated Edan. Remus was questioning her competency in Potions. He was insinuating that Professor Snape had only taken an interest in mentoring her to spite Remus. "That's not very kind Remus." She said stepping into their line of sight. 

She expected Snape to chastise her for eavesdropping but instead he looked rather pleased. "Edan, you shouldn't be listening to private conversations." Remus said gaping at her. 

Before she could respond Snape spoke up. "Well, Lupin, you insisted on having this out right here and now. It's not the girls fault she happened upon us in a public space."

Edan fought the urge to smile at his comment. "Nevermind you Severus." Remus said turning to Edan once again. "Can we talk. Privately." He said the word privately rather pointedly at Professor Snape who quickly departed with a smirk on his face.

Edan stood firmly. " I don't really care to have a conversation with you at the moment seeing as I found your words offensive." She made her way in the same direction Snape had disappeared to. Remus suddenly grabbed her wrist rather tightly to stop her. "Hey! Do not grab me like that." She growled at his narrowed eyes. 

His face softened instantly. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to grab you so hard. I really want to have a conversation with you. I'm tired of arguing." Edan was still shook by the slightest bit of aggression he'd shown there but agreed. 

Remus pulled out his wand and cast the spell 'muffiato' to prevent anyone from hearing their discussion. Something that would have been useful for his previous conversation Edan thought to herself. They sat down on a bench together. 

"I didn't mean to intend for my words to come across as me being doubtful of your potion abilities. I am doubtful of Professor Snape's intentions. He has never once mentored a student before as I am sure you heard." Remus said attempting to take her hand in his. 

Edan quickly pulled it away. "You seem to think he's only done so because of my relationship with you. Remus, it's obvious you have an issue with my mentorship. Why is that?" 

"I'm not jealous if that's what you are getting at. I have no reason to be, right?" 

"Of course not!" Edan exclaimed in disbelief. It wasn't even a thought in her head, not even after Professor Snape mentioned it. "There is nothing to be jealous of."