the good old days

It was a simple winter night, thin layers of frost coating the cold, fingerprint-covered windows of the pizzeria. Four animatronics looked out of them, quiet with anticipation. One minute left.

"I think I'm going to cut down on the pizza, this year," Chica remarked, suddenly. Foxy raised their eyebrow, before chuckling. "Lass, we both know that won't last a week, let alone a full year," they replied with a smirk.

Chica grumbled. "Well, you can't blame me for wanting to at least try. Besides... I must look so gross scoffing three pizzas a day..."

Foxy sighed, with a solemn smile. "Nothin' wrong with bein' passionate about food, lass. 'Sides, ya know I wouldn't change one thing about yeh," they said reassuringly, which earned a shy but thankful smile from the yellow chicken.

Forty seconds left.

Bonnie looked down, absentmindedly fiddling with his bow-tie, which had come undone. "I've never been good at keeping resolutions. It's too stressful," he said. "You miss one day of your... diet, routine, or... whatever and then you start slacking, and then once you start slacking you start feeling bad and then... I dunno. It isn't for me." An arm wrapped around his shoulders, and he looked to his left to see Freddy smiling at him.

"Well, you're doing it wrong," he began. "You shouldn't bite off more than you can chew." Freddy gently took hold of Bonnie's hands, pulling them away from his tie before fixing it for him. "Little things like, I dunno, journalling your thoughts once a week, or being kinder to people, those are the sorta things that end up most successful, in the long run."

"Wait, so... you've started a journal?" Bonnie asked, knowingly, with a cheeky grin. Freddy laughed, sheepishly. "Well, why not? I thought it'd be good to... y'know, write something down that isn't anything to do with the band. No lyrics just... my thoughts, right?" he said. Bonnie smiled, wrapping a hand around Freddy's hip. "You know what?" he said. "That isn't such a bad idea."

Twenty five seconds.

"Hey, Foxy, do you remember New Years' at your parents' house that one time, you know, when I made that awful experimental batch of cauliflower muffins?" Chica asked, her voice quiet and doleful, but laced with the faintest hint of humor. "They were so gross, and I was gonna dump them in the trash, but then when I came back inside you'd eaten the entire tray?" Foxy's smile disappeared. "Now y'listen here, we talked about this! I wasn't 'bout 'ta let precious food be tossed away!"

Chica wore a sinister grin. "We both know that's a buncha nonsense! You liked them!" She whispered.

"Did not!"

"Did too! I could see you chowing down on 'em from the living room!"

"Well, so what if I did? Nothin' wrong with havin' a diverse palate!"

"Foxy... they were burnt to the crisp..."

Foxy put their hand on their hip indignantly. "No! 'Twas only the top that was burnt! The insides were fine!" They retorted with a huff.

"Guys!"

The squabbling pair looked towards their companions, who pointed to the clock on the wall. There were many things wrong with the pizzeria, starting with the fact they even existed at all. Many things broke or gradually became in worse shape as time went on. They could always, however, rely on the time.

Ten... nine...

Bonnie returned his attention to Freddy. "Well? What are you gonna write about first?" he asked, softly.

Six... five...

"Well..." Freddy began, looking into Bonnie's eyes. "It'd probably be something about you and I."

Three... two...

The pair leaned in close to each other, eyes fluttering closed as their lips met at the strike of twelve. Freddy lifted a hand to caress the side of Bonnie's cheek as he pulled him closer. A lone firework was released into the sky, exploding into a bright starburst. Foxy and Chica stared out the window as several other bursts of light followed. The parking lot was illuminated with dozens of different colours as the world outside celebrated the beginning of a new year. The sound of people cheering could be heard faintly in the distance, muffled out by the sound of the fireworks. The outdoor world went on to live another year.

The residents of the pizzeria looked on and observed.

Freddy and Bonnie pulled away, lingering in each other's arms before joining their friends at the window. The four animatronics stood and watched, their silhouettes visible in the dark of the pizzeria with every firework. While the world went on, the four lost souls remained frozen in time. Bonnie rubbed his arm nervously. "...Suddenly I don't feel too good about the new year..." He said, pursing his lips. The others looked at him with empathy. After all they'd been through, it was hard not to be apprehensive.

Freddy rubbed Bonnie's back comfortingly. "I know," he said. "It's... hard. Maybe... maybe for tonight we could pretend that... that things aren't so hard. You know, before everything that happened? Like the good old days."

Chica and Foxy looked towards each other, before smiling. They reached their hands out to each other, Chica offering her other hand to Freddy, who took it solemnly before doing the same to Bonnie. The quartet stood in front of the window, watching the light show with their hands intertwined. Foxy swallowed, and begun to sing.

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?"

Bonnie and Freddy leaned closer into one another as they joined in on the song, allowing a smile to grace their features.

"For auld lang syne, my dear
For auld lang syne
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet
For days of auld lang syne."

Freddy placed a kiss on top of Bonnie's head. "Happy new year," he whispered. The bunny smiled contentedly. "Happy new year, Freddy."

Their lives weren't perfect, and they never knew if they'd ever be able to live with the restlessness that resided within them. But for tonight, they'd sing and dance, and celebrate. Bitterness and hate would escape them for today, peace, love and friendship taking its place.

————————————

this is a little late, i know. i also rushed it a little, so i apologise if there are any errors or pacing issues or anything like that. i just thought it'd be nice to post something for the occasion, lol.

i hope 2022 treats you all well. i know it's been a rough couple years, but we can all make it together. it'll all be alright in the end.

happy new year, everyone 💖

-ami