Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Chapter 25

Maddie

As I stare at myself in my full-length mirror, I can't help but feel insecure. I mean, don't get me wrong, my dress is gorgeous, and my hair and makeup came out perfectly, but no matter how hard I try I will never be as pretty as the other girls at school.

Maybe the only girl I'm comparing myself to is Kelsey because she was ultimately who Cam had chosen to go with. Not like I was ever a viable option to begin with seeming how this whole thing between us had to be kept a secret, but after I embarrassed myself completely in that closet he still hadn't spoken to me. What a way to make a person feel worthless.

I know he's not that type of guy, I know that, but I thought he was about to admit his feelings the night his Dad barged in on us. I thought, maybe, he had felt the same.

Running my hands over the silver beading of the short, satin dress, I let out a large breath just as Maya opens up the door to my room. "I can't get the zipper," she whines, twisting her body awkwardly to try and do it herself. Failing epically, I come to her rescue and slide it securely into place. "Thanks," she says, finally doing a once over of me. "Wow. You look hot!"

I grin. "Yeah? You think?"

I twirl around for her to get the full view and she nods her head in approval. "Totally. I'm so happy you decided to go with Mark. I think you guys are going to be cute together."

Biting on my bottom lip, I try to hold the nerves back but it's almost impossible. I'm sure Cam heard that I was going with Mark from my brother, who wouldn't shut up about it for three days straight. He was angry my Dad had allowed it, and in all honesty, I was surprised too. I never would have seen that coming, but my Dad wanted me to have a fun time. Since Ethan would be there too he felt it would be safe enough for me to be Mark's date.

Now as I glance down at the dress that hardly goes past my thigh, I start to seriously reconsider my choice.

I had no reason not to agree to go with Mark. The pact between Cam and I was done. He made that very clear in the closet. I literally spilled my guts out to him and he just sat there. He didn't say a damn thing.

Am I devastated that things between us are done? Yes. But I'm also not going to be that girl and spend it crying in my room with a tub of ice cream. I'm going to go out and have fun, and for once I'm going to take my mom's advice. I don't want to regret not going to a dance.

"We should probably head downstairs." Maya looks at me cautiously, and it's only now that I realize I never responded to her.

"Who's all here?" I ask.

"Cam is. If that's what you're wondering." She clears her throat, grabbing onto my hand to give it a tight squeeze. "But everything is going to be fine, alright? We're going to have a great time."

I let her open up the door and try to walk confidently in my heels, but I stumble. Maya grabs onto my arms to steady me, clearly sensing how nervous I am.

Am I shaking?

"I should have gone with a guy who's not a jock," I joke. "You were smart."

"Well, Kyle and I are just friends. Mark is someone you might actually want to date, so it's normal to be nervous. You're going to be fine, okay? You've got this."

I want to tell her that I'm not as nervous to see Mark as I am to see Cam with Kelsey. I never thought I would be a jealous person, but just the thought of her hands on him makes my blood boil.

"Okay," I say, and together we both descend down the staircase.

"Oh, look how beautiful!" My mom shrieks as she snaps about a million photos. My dad looks like he's going to pass out when he sees me, his face going as pale as a ghost.

I try to avoid it, but it's like a gravitational pull on Cam. Our eyes meet, and his gaze speaks a thousand words as he looks up and down my body. I can see him gulp loudly, attempting to look elsewhere until he seems to give up and focuses on my dress again.

I should be walking down to him. I should be the one he's taking tonight, and as much as I try to look away from him, I can't. I'm heartbroken, and it looks like he is too. I don't get it. If he's heartbroken, why didn't he say something? Why has he avoided me for the past five days?

Kelsey has her fingers clamped onto Cam's arm, and my fist clenches at my side. From his curls that are gelled back tonight, to that black suit that fits him just right, I fight the urge to rip her away from him.

I want him to be mine.

Blinking away the tears that are threatening to spill onto my cheeks, Mark takes my hand when I reach the bottom of the staircase to place a silver corsage on my wrist. He's wearing a matching tie to go with my dress, and normally I'd find it cute, but this doesn't feel right. Being with Mark doesn't feel right.

"You look so beautiful," he murmurs, and he brings my hand up to kiss it. I'm certain that Ethan or my father will attack him, but instead, they just clear their throats awkwardly as my mom continues snapping away for photo opportunities.

I send Mark a warm smile and we pose for a couple of shots for my mom with his arms around my waist. They inch lower for the last one, and suddenly Cameron steps in front of us.

"Can you get some of Kelsey and me now please?" He asks, but there's annoyance hidden in his voice.

One by one, all of the couples get their photos taken. Maya and Kyle are talking about their love for horror movies, and Ethan is... staring. At Maya.

Jennifer has her back up again the doorway, clearly upset by what I'm noticing too. He hasn't taken his eyes off of her for the past two minutes, and I immediately feel like a fucking idiot.

Why am I just now realizing this?

Does Ethan have feelings for Maya?

Ethan doesn't have feelings for anyone, but now that I think about it, it's so obvious. He listens to her all the time. She was the reason I was able to stay out late, she was the reason he was able to calm down after the situation with Mark.

He's been into her this entire time.

"Okay, I think I got them all!" My mom claps excitedly. "Now hurry up. The limo is waiting outside." Ushering us all out the door, I follow behind Mark until I feel a pair of hands pull me against their chest.

"Be careful tonight, Mads." Cameron's voice whispers into my ear, causing all of the hairs on my body to stand on end.

He doesn't linger, he doesn't say anything else, he just quickly releases me before it's obvious and follows the rest of the crew toward the limo.