TWENTY-EIGHT | kill or get killed

It's getting dark outside, and Blair realizes she should've brought a coat. The January air is too cold for her, even with the two sweaters she's wearing.

Blair stops sobbing after she's left the Malfoy estate, walking right through the large gate. She has her arms wrapped around herself, dragging her feet along to cooperate with her mind's will, but her body isn't cooperative at all, it just wants rest.

The lantar poles light up her path as she crosses the street, and spots the city lights from a small distance. Blair has no time for fear of dying, she's only thinking about Emris— what will happen to her, even if she does manage to meet her blackmailer. What if Emris is just bait? What if this person decides to kill Emris after all?

The streets are empty, like she expected. That's all they keep saying in the newspapers, stay home. People barely leave their home these days.

Blair has to stop walking a few times on her way, just to crouch down and blink fast, stopping herself from fainting. She'd never forgive herself if this bloody fever keeps her from saving Emris.

Blair reaches the city after fifteen minutes because of her slow walking, shivers running down her spine as she spots the alley, the empty alley.

She asks herself what Draco must be doing right now. Going on a killing spree to get rid of his anger or throwing glasses against the wall. Maybe both.

She steps into the alley, trembling on her legs that are ready to give in with defeat. Blair places a hand against the cold stone, gasping for breath, her vision blackening. Her body is giving in.

No footsteps are heard, but Blair can barely hear anything over the loud ringing noise that fills her ears. As she faints, she falls right into a strong pair of arms that keep her upright.

And she's gone.

__________________________

Deja vu.

As Blair opens her eyes, she finds herself far away from any sort of safety. No longer in Draco's arms, not even in that alley anymore. She's on a mattress on a stone floor. No windows. A basement.

Her hands and feet aren't tied, nor is her mouth taped shut like Emris's. Blair's body cries out with pain as she turns her head and scans the room. No sign of Emris. No sign of anything.

"Hello..?" Blair croaks, her mouth dry. Her head has started pounding again.

There's a door only two meters away from her, and a voice comes from behind it. "You're awake." It's not a voice she recognizes. Like Draco, they must've charmed it to alter the sound.

"Em," She says, her throat burning. "Where's Em?"

There's silence for a few long seconds before that voice replies. "She's safe. I didn't harm her."

Tears brim in Blair's eyes with relief. Now all she has to do is figure out how she can be safe, too. "Why am I here? What do you want..?" Blair asks.

"I want to take back what was stolen from me, Blair." That voice says, its tone calm.

Blair shuts her eyes for a long blink, scoffing, resting the back of her head against the stone. "I made an unbreakable vow to get back to Draco. I'll die if you don't let me leave.." She says.

Anonymous is silent for a time that feels like an hour. Blair doesn't have much energy to repeat her words, wondering if they even heard her.

"Unbreakable vows have been broken before without anyone dying. I'll find a way to shatter the connection— reverse the magic. It's been done before." They say eventually, their voice still a lethal calm tone that makes her shudder.