Chapter Six: Face Down

Nineteen days. Nineteen. That's how long it's been since Ryder and I have spoken.

Nineteen.

Like hell does it hurt. I actually started to believe he cared, then I had to push him away. Believe me, I tried apologizing. I've texted him, called him, and even walked up to him! Hell, I even went into the cafe to ask him if he was ever going to talk to me again.

That's where I am now.

So, yes, I am having a major panic attack. My face is red, I am sure, and my breath is getting caught in my throat easily.

"Ryder," I pleaded quietly, coming up behind him as he went to sit down, "please just turn around."

"What do you want, Nerd," sneered one of the cheerleaders. No one else seemed to notice, for this I was glad, but I flinched at the tone of her voice. Ryder stood rigid as he was about to sit down, stopping at the sound of my voice.

"I- uh- I need to talk to Ryder," I murmured. I looked down, feeling my heart pound in my chest. My face heated as I heard snickering.

"He doesn't want to talk to a nerd like you, fat ass," she snickered louder than before, "are you delusional as well as fat and ugly?"

"Patty, sto-" Ryder began, but quickly stopped himself, staying silent for a moment. Then, he licked his lips, smirking slightly, "actually, she is right."

I stopped breathing, my heart dropping, "w-what?"

"Leave me alone, fatty," Ryder smirked, flicking my forehead slightly, causing me to flinch, "go eat a pie."

He knows I hate pie. Pft, meany.

"Ry-"

"Leave me alone! What the hell is wrong with you?" he screamed, "you're being a bitch! Just fuck off! I never liked you! You're annoying as hell, you're short and fat, you're so damn clumsy, and I can go on forever about how ugly you are!"

I couldn't breathe. Heck, I didn't want to breathe.

Everyone was watching now. I knew that. But I couldn't move, my head was spinning, and suddenly my breath came out in pants. My jaw shook as I stuttered for words, but no sounds came out. I shook, my heart racing.

This is the worst panic attack I've had in months.

Tears ran down my cheeks as I finally found it in me to turn. Yet, as I was about to take the first step to run, I felt cold hands on my arm, "go kill yourself, fatty."

But, it wasn't Shelby's voice.

It was Ryder's.

I couldn't take it. I sprinted out of the cafe, a sob leaving my lips as the door closed behind me. I held myself as I slowed to a walk. My pain and panic grew as I neared the school doors.

There's no way I am staying.

I bit my lip, trying to get my breath back to normal, but nothing worked. Panic attacks aren't fun. Hell, I am surprised I am able to walk. My knees are shaking, and I really wish I hadn't pushed away the one person that had driven away my panic.

"I saw what happened back there."

I jumped, letting out a soft squeal.

"Stephan," I sighed, feeling relieved for a second.

"You need a ride?" he swayed on his feet, his hands in his pockets as he nodded towards his truck, "I saw you walking this morning."

"Uh, if you don't mind, that would be great," I smiled shakily, wrapping my arms around myself, "I don't really trust myself to cross a road alone right now."