Chapter 13: Alternate

Ryder's cold hands clung to my waist as he pulled me into him, "I'm so sorry, Doll."

I tilted my head to look up at him, his face was stone as usual but his eyes were flooded with regret, "why?"

"I-I should've called. I should've made sure you were okay," Ryders fluster for words left me uneasy. Never, never, did Ryder Spooner question himself, "I never meant to hurt you."

I shook my head, my hands placing onto his chest gently, rubbing small circles with my thumb over the hard muscle, "I can't expect you to be there all the time, Ryder."

"But you should, Doll. I made a promise to you and I should've held it," Ryder's head bowed to try to get my gaze to avert back to his and away from his chest.

"It's okay," I smiled a sad smile as I tried to cover up the hurt I had felt just the previous day, "I promise. Maybe we should pinky promise this time. Really seal the deal."

Ryder chuckled, shaking his head as his grasp tightened on my hips. I felt my cheeks heat as his fingers tapped closely to my lower back. His laugh brought a sense of calm over my anxious body; allowing me to breathe a sigh of content.

Finally I pressed myself against his chest, just basking in his heat as my tired body willed me to lean against him. I just wanted to be held and in my suddenly groggy state at five in the morning, I was happy to have Ryder in front of me. His chest felt slowly to a small rumble of putters from his heart. The sound calmed me, letting me close my eyes.

"Can we please just watch Moana or something," I grumbled against Ryder's toned chest, feeling myself grow more and more dazed, "I don't mind you left. You have a life. I know."

Ryder sighed with a sadness I couldn't place, making my heart skip a beat.

"The smallest things about you are my favorite," Ryder mumbled quietly. I don't suppose he expected me to hear him so I stayed quiet, leaned against his chest with my eyes fallen.

I felt Ryder pick me up and put me on his hip, my arms instantly wrapping around his neck and my head resting on his shoulder. I was too tired to protest as he carried me up to my room and laid in bed with me on him partially. I didn't want to protest anyway.

"Goodnight, Doll," Ryder mumbled. For a moment I thought I felt his lips brush against my forehead, but a second later consciousness left me.

A few hours later, I woke up to Ryder stirring slightly beneath me.

"Where are you going," I unintentionally whined, holding Ryder closer. I didn't want him or his warmth and safety to leave me yet. I was quickly becoming dependent on him for happiness and that scared me.

"I was going to bring you tea," Ryder chuckled, his arms going back around me, one hand resting on the small of my back but never lower, "but since you, little missy, decided to argue me I guess you'll be without tea until we get up."

I grumbled against his chest and attempted to shake the sleepiness out of me with no success, "I'm in the mood to cuddle Daisy and get slobbery kisses from her. I really don't like her alone long."

Ryder laughed; the sound sweet and deep. I smiled softly at the sound, basking in the warmth of it.

"Of course, Doll," Ryder sat up, taking me with him. My legs coiled around his waist as I sat on his lap, "anything for you. Even Daisy's slobber kisses. She misses you. I'm sure the dog watcher is there now though, don't worry."

I nodded, calming slightly, "he better give her treats and cuddles."

"Oh, all the treats. All the cuddles," Ryder chuckled, picking me up by my waist and setting me to stand on the side of my bed, "I'm sure she's living the life."