After Story (Diavolo)

"Princess ... "

Diavolo cradled your body closer to him. Your warmth seeped out with each second. Stale blood dripped from your wounds.

Diavolo chuckled drily.

Those gentle hands that would pat his head, the calloused but lovely fingers that drove him crazy with each touch--he will never feel them again.

Chuckling became laughing.

His flames blazed brighter and pitch-black smoke rose from earth. Rising higher into the sky, Diavolo's wings grew and stretched so far they covered the sun and engulfed the city in darkness. From his flames swung out a tail with scarlet scales. It swept across the buildings, killing hundreds and destroying everything.

"Beast!" The humans screamed. "The witch summoned a beast!"

"Witch?" Diavolo repeated.

His maniacal laugh thundered throughout the city.

"You killed her for that?" The woman he loved was a soul who would never use her magic selfishly. You never turned away a patient even when they disrespected you.

The red dragon tenderly gazed at the lifeless body in his hand.

The skin had lost its vigor, scratches covered your face, and the arms ...

How long did you suffer? How much did you suffer?

If only ... if only he stayed with her.

"Unholy beast!"

Diavolo's thoughts were interrupted when the human soldiers started shooting arrows at him. One arrow flew past his claws and almost hit your corpse.

The red dragon roared into the sky.

The large city that once bustled with life was reduced to ashes in less than half a day.

Diavolo flew back to your home. When he found the squatters wearing your clothes and the kids trampling the flowers you adored, he almost sent them to the next life. But he sensed the mana that radiated from them. It was your mana.

"Take off the clothes that aren't yours and leave behind what belongs in this house," he ordered with glowing eyes.

There were a foolish few who disobeyed by pocketing a ruby Diavolo gifted. They were two kids, the ones who threw rocks at you--

Half their faces were melted off.

"A saint touched your souls so I won't kill you," Diavolo said. "But don't test my patience."

The refugees ran for the mountains and Diavolo was left alone.

"I'm here," he whispered, kissing the top of your head. "I'm right here, princess, so come back soon ... "

Gabriel and Lilith arrived a few weeks later. They've only now just heard the news.

Shock didn't begin to describe what they felt at the scene that welcomed them.

Your humble mud house was transformed into a wooden cottage. The tiny patch of soil you proudly called a garden was bigger, lining the side of the river with herbs and flowers and other plants.

Life seemed to overflow

Gabriel barged inside the cottage.

The crown prince of hell sat on the edge of a bed. He was wiping the feet of a corpse, his eyes full of mad love while telling a story about how big the pomegranates were.

"I promise I didn't use any magic. When you wake up, let's make some dessert with them--"

A fist flew and Diavolo landed on the ground.